TripleL40's '88 K1500 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
ah okay. Mine are aftermarket ebay ones, maybe that has something to do with it. Thaks for the help, I'll try the brackets and washers. Thanks man
Yeah mine are too. Main problem they have is they're worn out where they fold back so they vibrate there and whenever i close the door they move back a little. I'll be going back to the Chevy mirrors with my new doors, at least until I can buy some quality Dodge ones.

Sent from a 1liter 3 Cylinder Geo motor powered smartphone.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted anything, but I haven't really done much to the truck either besides painting the old wheels and getting new tires. Nothing has given me any problems so far. Just got new door hinges, so now I can put my new doors on once I get them painted. Even without any changes I still take tons of pictures of the truck so I figured I'd throw some up here.

Been cutting down trees and skidding logs with the 88 and our old International 766 for the last few months, so the truck has had to do a lot of work lately.
You must be registered for see images attach

Wheelin' in the Owyhee Mountains

End of May, up high in the mountains, even found some snow.

.....and a rock with my trans crossmember....

Stuck a new engine in my dad's van, 88 got to drag the old one out.

and took this at work.

Also, just purchased this 1980 Chevy Luv 4x4. Got big plans for it so it'll be getting its own build thread in the "Other Vehicle Builds" category.
*EDIT LUV BUILD HERE

Last edited:

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Wish I had big updates but haven't done much to the poor old 88 lately. Water pump went out back in August and I just let it sit for about a month because I was driving my C60 and the LUV everywhere. Finally got around to fixing that but then it developed a terrible vibration in the front end, turns out the Idler Arm and Pitman are both worn out. I have replacements for them now but its in the single digits and there is a foot of snow on the ground, so I'll have to clear out a space in the shed to work on it soon. Been riding snowmobiles everywhere since the snow hit so haven't been in a big hurry to fix it. Have driven it a little though, mainly to rescue people stuck in the snow.

Wash this summer, was picture worthy because this poor truck rarely gets anything more than a blast with a pressure washer.

Getting all of my trucks prepped for winter; '68 C60, LUV, '56 Studebaker, and '88.

And playing around in the snow.

Happy New Year!

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Just rolled over 330,000 miles and the 305 decided the right head gasket was done. Borrowed my boss' shop and tore into it. Found the right gasket was bad and the left one was seeping in a few places. Figured while I had it apart, might as well freshen the top end up a little bit. Ground the valves, did a light port and polish on the heads, replaced my terrible valve stem seals, and cleaned/painted everything up. Now she's feeling better!

Fixed my bad pitman and Idler while I had it in the shop. The steering is great, but the vibration is still there. Feeling more like driveline or rear end now. Have to check everything out soon.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
I really need to update these things more often! Now I have to pick through pictures or else I'm gonna flood you guys :anitoof:

88 has been great since the head gasket/top end refresh. No more death smoke on startup with those new valve seals. Only mechanical problem I've had was my smog pump. Crossed a pretty deep creek up in the mountains and ended up getting water into the pump and hydro-locking it. Suddenly the belt was squealing and broke before I could even reach the key. We spent 3 hours on the side of the trail disassembling the pump, pulling bits of broken bearings out of it, then reassembling it and packing it full of WD-40 so I could limp it home. Good thing I always carry a spare serpentine belt. Replaced the pump the next week and has been smooth sailing since! Now PICTURES!

My old passenger door was 90% bondo from a previous owner's wreck and repair. Picked up this pair for $30 from a buddy that was parting out a 92. They were power everything so had to swap the guts/door panels over from my old doors. Went pretty easy. This also fixed my bad hinge on my drivers door that had an ob-longed hole from a worn out bushing before I owned it. My Dodge mirrors were too worn out to warrant installing them on the new doors. I had a pair of factory stainless ones and factory black ones laying around, decided to go with the black ones for now. Happy with it!

Side of a wash out in the middle of a hill climb gave out and sucked me in. :hidesbehindsofa: somehow managed to drive out of this without any body damage. Thought for sure I was gonna destroy my new drivers door.

Few weeks ago, top of War Eagle Mountain, Silver City, Idaho.

and then the new changes came.
Got tired of the old brush guard, wanted a little cleaner look. Ended up with new headlights, turn signals, custom grille I've been working on for a while, new hood (since mine had a dent from the brush guard coming into contact with it), my old diesel bumper, and factory air dam.

Brackets weren't bolted up for the lights in the bumper in this picture. Still gotta finish fabbing them up. Also trying to find a pair of factory fog lights. Thought a friend had a pair but turned out he doesn't have them anymore. Loving the look so far. Much cleaner than the old brush guard.

Also LED swapped everything in the cab.

Why Not?? :rofl:

There is a dent in the passenger fender I've either gotta try to pop out or replace the fender, then I want to paint everything from the cab forward. Hopefully be putting together a flatbed for it sometime this year...