TripleL40's '88 K1500 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
The front end on this truck is driving me crazy. Ever since my frame swap I have had nothing but trouble with the front end. Idler arm keeps working loose from the frame, even with ny-lock nuts and loc-tite. Shock mount broke off of the frame, but I finally got it welded back on well. Front axle actuator only kinda works, and being a 92 its a special one because the axle tube is bigger than the other years so I've gotta special order the actuator because my old one won't fit in it. Also, when it is locked into 4x4, it pulls to the left hard. I thought this was just because the front diff was delivering more power to the passenger side axle, but now it's looking like it might be bad control arm bushings, allowing the entire LCA to pivot forward when the wheel pulls forward in 4x4. This was no big deal for now, as it was handling fine as long as it was in 2wd. No brake pull or anything. Until today. After climbing up a hill after we went out shooting in the desert today, the alignment is now toed in at least 4 inches. Limped it home, ate about 1/8 of an inch of rubber off of the outside of the front tires, and I'll tear into it tomorrow and figure out what went wrong...

If I didn't have a student loan that I have to pay off this year, I already would've bought my friend's Kingpin high-pinion Dana 60 and would be stripping my front end right now haha.

Found a picture of my shock mount:
You must be registered for see images attach

Other than all of that front end business, haven't done a whole lot to the truck. Put my old bumper and brush guard back on so I can get some lights mounted on my brush guard. Couldn't bring myself to drill 4 holes in the 6.5 Bumper to mount the guard so just swapped it all back over. Got my on-board air partially mounted, gotta buy some more air line this weekend to plumb it all. Got the Isolated second battery all done up, I'll post pictures of it later.

Snapped this picture of it pulling in the driveway when my dad borrowed it last week.

and I've been playing around with flatbed ideas on Google Sketchup, but with my student loan in the way if this happens it's gonna be a while:

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I was looking through this thread a while back, great work on the truck! I've thought about a frame swap for an ECSB 3/4 ton, but I feel like it would be a little sketchy for state inspections.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
I was looking through this thread a while back, great work on the truck! I've thought about a frame swap for an ECSB 3/4 ton, but I feel like it would be a little sketchy for state inspections.

Yeah inspections might be a bit hard on something like that. Luckily we don't have to do inspections, otherwise my broken windshield for the last 10 years would've kept this off the road haha. (Oh yeah forgot to post I did get a new windshield installed in it) We do have Emissions testing though and the lady doing the emissions test was getting frustrated because she kept putting the VIN into the computer and it kept bringing it up as a half ton. I think her exact quote was "Why does this stupid computer keep bringing it up as a half ton when it's an 8 lug?" Just told her they weren't the original axles and it was fine.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Turns out the shop didn't tighten the alignment bolts well enough, so the cam's slipped back to their neutral positions, throwing everything off. Re-aligned it myself and made sure everything's tight this time.

Glad to be back on the road again. Been stuck driving this poor worn out 92 W/T1500 that barely runs. It's nice to be back in the ol' 88.

Wood stumps make good jackstands.

Boy that'd be a lot of lift.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Can you post pics of your onboard air stuff? Loving the truck!

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Can you post pics of your onboard air stuff? Loving the truck!

You mean this thing that's bolted to my fender but not hooked up to anything? (Don't tell anyone, but I've been lazy) Tank and lines and stuff are still mounted to my half ton frame out back. :)

I have a few pictures from when it was all mounted up back when I had the half ton frame. Had the compressor mounted on the outside of the framerail on the passenger side under the door. You can see the rear cab mount in the picture to see where it is. Not a good location because the front tire threw mud directly on it haha.

and the air tank mounted in the wide part of the frame where it bends up in the back.

Air line ran forward to a quick-release on the fender, t'd into the cab with a pressure gauge hanging under the dash, and then wrapped around forward to these.

I have a wired pressure gauge now with a sending unit so I don't have to worry about routing the lines through the cab. Once it warms back up I'll get to work getting everything mounted up. And the compressor will be mounted to the fender like it is in the first pic to keep it out of the mud.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Great job keeping this thing alive. It's nice seeing a truck actually used for work....

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
You mean this thing that's bolted to my fender but not hooked up to anything? (Don't tell anyone, but I've been lazy) Tank and lines and stuff are still mounted to my half ton frame out back. :)

I have a few pictures from when it was all mounted up back when I had the half ton frame. Had the compressor mounted on the outside of the framerail on the passenger side under the door. You can see the rear cab mount in the picture to see where it is. Not a good location because the front tire threw mud directly on it haha.

and the air tank mounted in the wide part of the frame where it bends up in the back.

Air line ran forward to a quick-release on the fender, t'd into the cab with a pressure gauge hanging under the dash, and then wrapped around forward to these.

I have a wired pressure gauge now with a sending unit so I don't have to worry about routing the lines through the cab. Once it warms back up I'll get to work getting everything mounted up. And the compressor will be mounted to the fender like it is in the first pic to keep it out of the mud.
Thanks man! I like the idea. Been throwing that idea around for a while but I don't offroad much or anything so I don't think I'd get much use out of it

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
i love this thing
Great job keeping this thing alive. It's nice seeing a truck actually used for work....
Thanks guys! She just keeps kicking!
Thanks man! I like the idea. Been throwing that idea around for a while but I don't offroad much or anything so I don't think I'd get much use out of it
Yeah I've actually used this one around the place airing up tires on my other projects more than anything else haha. Might run air lockers off of them eventually ($$$) so that would be helpful offroading :) and might put some overload air bags on the rear axle eventually to help with towing, just have to see what happens.

Finally got around to re-wiring in the lights on my headache rack today, so they are all working again, and threw my two 6in Harbor Freight off road lights back on my brush guard, so I can see stuff again and everybody can see me!