TripleL40's '80 Chevy Luv 4x4 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Drove the LUV all summer and fall as a front wheel drive because I never got around to adapting my driveline to the Ford 8.8. Now, my plans have changed for the LUV. Sold the flatbed to a friend that's going to put it on an 89 S10. LUV will now be getting full width axles, a stepside bed from a square body, and widened front baja style front fenders. Drivetrain plans are now 5.3, NV4500, 241C, and Dana 60's. Might as well throw some pictures at you guys.

You must be registered for see images attach

When I first got the LUV I wondered how it compared for size to the flatbed on our old Dodge farm truck, so I had to try something...

Getting all of my trucks prepped for winter; '68 C60, LUV, '56 Studebaker, and '88.

And a mock up of my new stepside bed.

Will have to take a few inches out of the front of the bed to shorten down the wheelbase some, because I eventually want to race this truck in the Mexican 1000 and the class it would be in is 108" wheelbase and less, and with the full length bed center of front wheel to center of rear fender is about 110".

Right now everything is paused because it's in the single digit degrees and a foot of snow on the ground, just moved the LUV into the shed to get it out of the snow a couple of days ago.

Happy New Year!

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Small update, still waiting for warmer, dryer weather, but picked up a disc brake 9.5 SF14B for the rear of the LUV. Going to start working on the rear suspension in the next week or so hopefully if the weather holds out.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
I'm baaaaack! Well I never really left I just keep forgetting to post updates...

Have made a little progress on the LUV this summer. Unfortunately ended up laid off for a quite a while and that lack of income meant I didn't get anywhere near as much done to it as I wanted to.

Mock up of the bed and rear axle from this spring before I started doing anything to it.

Picked up a Dana 60 front axle for it.

Got the bedsides shortened like I had planned. Extended the frame 12" past where the boxed factory frame ended. Running my 64" leaf springs the rear spring hanger would have been half off of the end of the stock frame. Also cleaned all of the old spring hangers and brackets off. Currently waiting on Ford Ranger hangers to arrive so I can finish up the rear suspension.

*Fun fact* with no axle or bed attached, you can pick up the rear framerails of a Chevy LUV and walk it around like a wheelbarrow. I love how light this thing is.

Big thanks to Roadrunner Fiberglass for custom 8.5" bulge baja fenders for it! Turned out waaaaay better than anything I could've fabbed up out of sheetmetal. Price was great too! They add enough width to just about perfectly cover the width of the Dana 60 with the White Spokes I bought for it. Last picture is from today. Welding up mounts and crossmembers for the bed while I'm waiting for those spring hangers.

Goose 3406

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think i officialy love this nifty little truck. Pretty sick as :boobs: with the 8 lug axels under neath of it. Badass little rig no doubt about it