Trip Odometer quit - Will later years work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Before I go scouring yards for a replacement trip odometer, will they even work? Our truck has the unicorn '91 cluster with tach that I swapped in place of the old slice-o-pie junk. I've already determined that the odometer for the S-o-P clusters won't work but I'm not sure about the later 92-94 clusters. The odometer & trip are in the same location so logic says they would but I know the entire back/electrical portion is different, so I'm left wondering if the mechanicals are the same...

I'm not exactly sure why the trip quit working, the one gear and bracket have a crack in them and the assembly itself is sticky even after silicone lube, by hand though it works fine but when I put it all back together it'll read up to 9/10's of a mile or less and then quit, if it even reads at all.

Thanks for your help.

RedLeader289

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few places that will fix your trip for you (some are online but there's usually local places too). Usually what happens is one of the little plastic gears inside strips out, so a used cluster would likely do the same thing after a while.

Dealt with the same issue on my camaro ('83)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You should be able to get a non-tach 92-94 cluster pretty cheap at any boneyard, would be worth it just to try. I don't see the tripmeter go bad in many of those, FWIW.

Also just a bit of info what usually breaks parts in the tripmeter is resetting it while you're in motion. Supposed to only do that while stopped. You may have never done it wrong, but many people do as a matter of habit, including previous owners...

Richard

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
LoL yeah they're pretty cheap but the thing is I'd rather not have to go to the junkyard if I don't have to. But, if I know definitively from one of you guys that "Yeah, 92-94 trip odometers swap right in" then yep, I'll be there this Saturday morning. Unfortunately, I don't need anything else...

This trip odo just quit at 61 miles one day. First hiccup it had it went to 99.9 miles and was done. Reset it and it was good for a couple more tanks of gas before it started doing the BS mentioned in the first post. Had that cluster out 3 times and my old slice-o-pie apart trying to figure a work around out. I like **** to work!