Travel trailer

Discussion in 'Towing' started by J_lope82, Sep 3, 2017.

1. df2x4

df2x4 Domestics only.

No idea how to go about checking the math behind it, but I used that exact page to pick gears for my Monte Carlo and it seems pretty close. Although my Monte doesn't have a tach, so take that for what it's worth. :lol:

2. Tavi

Tavi Vehicle enthusiasts

I would say it's pretty close. My RPO codes say I have 4.10, but I thought I was running a little high for then. Wondering if my trans wasn't going into OD or the converter wasn't locking up. But everything seemed to check out. Plugged around with numbers and realized it was spot on for 4.56s.

By the way. I very much enjoy my 4.56s. I get the same mileage empty or loaded, highway or streets. But it does tow nice. TBI 454.

J_lope82 and Project400 like this.
  3. Project400

Project400 OBS Enthusiast

Yes it's accurate

J_lope82 likes this.
  4. J_lope82

J_lope82 I'm Awesome

Well I wanted to upgrade the diff to a posi and change gears while at it. I need to lock all those 185 horses to the pavement they seem to want to take off faster than the truck. It's CRAZY.

5. White mule

White mule Newbie

I tow a 25' travel trailer that weighs 6200 lbs loaded with my 98 suburban k2500 with 3.73 gears. On the flats don't notice the trailer but living in socal you can not go far before you have to climb 5,000 feet to get out of LA that is where I can feel it. I would think that anything bigger (trailer ) would be a pain in the ass.forgot to add I have a 454 with stock 245 tires.

20170920_070629.jpg

Urambo Tauro and J_lope82 like this.
  6. GarrettGmc

GarrettGmc I'm Awesome

It's been a while but I remember the grapevine is pretty damn steep, I could imagine overheating would be easy going up.

7. White mule

White mule Newbie

Yeah it's makes the old burb grunt but can hold 55 mph up the hill fully loaded. I think the hardest trip I did was up to the California border along the 101 freeway past San Francisco was 8 hrs of up and down through the mountains, by the time we got to camp we were both worn-out.

8. GarrettGmc

GarrettGmc I'm Awesome

Yea we're all uphill from you down there. It's probably been 10 years since I was last down south in idle wild, Pasadena, Brawley an el centro.

9. Nathaniel2g

Nathaniel2g Rusty Islander

I can't see putting a 4L80E behind a 12 valve being the strongest option. I'd be looking for a NV4500.

10. J_lope82

J_lope82 I'm Awesome

I have thought about it pretty good and with you alls advice I decided to not use my 94 C1500 to try to tow a family size travel trailer. I want to go the route of a full size suv with adequate towing capacity.