Travel trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I regularly pull a bumper pull travel trailer with my heavy 1/2 ton 1992 ECSB with 5.7 liter and 4L60. 3.73 gears. My TT is around 4K loaded with fresh water tank full and all our gear aboard. It's 17ft long, 21ft counting the tongue. I do just fine in 3rd gear, on the flats. Pulling a mountain pass and it's second gear 3,500K RPM's 45 to 50 mph, at best. It does it, but it's not happy about it. I couldn't imagine and never would consider pulling a trailer the size you are talking about with my truck. These travel trailers are giant wind sails and when you get up to speed you can really feel it working against you, plus the weight.

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Another note is I don't really want to get a smaller travel trailer because we are a family of five.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need to pick up a 4x4 crew cab or 2500 Suburban with a 454 and 4.10 gears. That would get you a 10,000-lb tow rating.

And then give it to me for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I'm in a family of 6, my mother and father, and older sister, me, and my younger brother in sister; so we've got a big camper.
33 foot with 4 bunks in the back, single slide, sumbitch weighs 7K empty I think; we pull it with a 99 C3500, 454/4L80E and 4.56 gearing and it doesn't like pulling it sometimes which is weird;

My red truck (454/80E) pulled a 28 footer 5th wheel camper and the PO said it pulled it like it was nothing. My old 97 Suburban (350/60E) pulled a 33' travel trailer and the PO said it did it fine, but it killed it after 4 trips to the coast.
Personally, I'd find an old 454 Burb to lug a camper around; they're everywhere and you can pick em up cheap, I tried to get my dad into a few Suburbans but he was gung ho on a truck.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so instead of new thread I figured ask here. Not soon but in couple years once kids are older we'd like to do more out of state traveling. With there being 6 of us the best choice would be a burb to seat us comfortably. We're thinkin of picking up a toy hauler and either quads or sxs. Obviously a 2500 4x4 would be best and I'd plan to swap in a cummins but not sure wat trans, and rear end plus brake upgrades. What all would I need to do to comfortable tow something that could be up to 12-13k.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Ok so instead of new thread I figured ask here. Not soon but in couple years once kids are older we'd like to do more out of state traveling. With there being 6 of us the best choice would be a burb to seat us comfortably. We're thinkin of picking up a toy hauler and either quads or sxs. Obviously a 2500 4x4 would be best and I'd plan to swap in a cummins but not sure wat trans, and rear end plus brake upgrades. What all would I need to do to comfortable tow something that could be up to 12-13k.

Those weight-distributing hitches work wonders from everything I've seen, trailer brakes on both camper axles and a good brake controller; and for 12-13K I'd want a decent amount of truck with duals to be comfortable; but that's just me...
For a later power-plant, a 5.9L Cummins, 188/220 Hamilton cam, 5x14 injectors, upgraded fuel plate and governor spring, Holset HX35 with a 4" straight pipe, intercooled and backed up by a build 4L80E would be pretty sweet,

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those weight-distributing hitches work wonders from everything I've seen, trailer brakes on both camper axles and a good brake controller; and for 12-13K I'd want a decent amount of truck with duals to be comfortable; but that's just me...
For a later power-plant, a 5.9L Cummins, 188/220 Hamilton cam, 5x14 injectors, upgraded fuel plate and governor spring, Holset HX35 with a 4" straight pipe, intercooled and

Ya I would definitely go intercooler route. Plus add fee more goodies to your list, not looking for big numbers just enough power up some of the hills I know we'd encounter.

Air bags to bring your front end geometry back to where it should be.

This brings me to another question. Would it be best to fully the the frame. I like the idea of adding some rear bags and and onboard compressor for them.
This is still lil while off but I like planning big projects ahead of time especially when I know it's gunna cost what a new compact car would be