Travel trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have been itching about buying a bumper pull travel trailer because we do a lot of camping. I am looking at getting a ~27' ~30' trailer. Roughly 6000-7500 lbs gross weight.
I own a 94 C1500 200k miles with a 5.7l, automatic, 3.42 gears and 32" M/Ts. The truck is in decent shape but has no performance mods except a 3" cat back exhaust and gutted cat. I am undecided wether to keep this truck to use for the travel trailer or buy a better equipped newer truck which I really don't want do because I don't like getting into debt unless I really have to. Do you all think my 94 would make good truck for towing a trailer around a few times out of the year and approx 4-6 hrs of travel time each way? What mods do you all think I need to make my truck better equipped for this kind of towing? I am willing to throw some money at it to make it tow better. Would you all buy a better truck or try to make this one work?

You must be registered for see images attach

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
So I have been itching about buying a bumper pull travel trailer because we do a lot of camping. I am looking at getting a ~27' ~30' trailer. Roughly 6000-7500 lbs gross weight.
I own a 94 C1500 200k miles with a 5.7l, automatic, 3.42 gears and 32" M/Ts. The truck is in decent shape but has no performance mods except a 3" cat back exhaust and gutted cat. What mods do you all think I need to make my truck better equipped for this kind of towing? I am willing to throw some money at it to make it tow better.
You must be registered for see images attach
Since you're going to be towing, you might want to consider: transmission temp gauge, transmission cooler, and a 4l60e corvette servo to preserve your 60e.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3.42's and 32's are not going to make for a fun time towing anything

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since you're going to be towing, you might want to consider: transmission temp gauge, transmission cooler, and a 4l60e corvette servo to preserve your 60e.

Yes I don't have a problem with that getting that for the tranny. As it is in a few cases I have noticed that sometimes in 2nd gear the truck makes a loud hum when I go about half throttle, sometimes going up a hill. It's like a hum and the truck vibrates a little. I have to let off the throttle and then get on it full throttle and the noise quits. I'm pretty sure it's the tranny.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Weight wise that's fine but a 30' trailer is a lot of wind sail to drag around behind a truck that's not very heavy. Maybe fine, maybe scariest ride ever depending on what kind of wind you get there. I think I'd look at a smaller trailer myself.

3.42's and 32's are not going to make for a fun time towing anything

I tow with 3.42's and a 4.3 :shrug: It isn't great though

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Weight wise that's fine but a 30' trailer is a lot of wind sail to drag around behind a truck that's not very heavy. Maybe fine, maybe scariest ride ever depending on what kind of wind you get there. I think I'd look at a smaller trailer myself.

30' trailer would be worse case but I'm thinking more of a 27-28' trailer.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Factory max trailer weight with that combination was 6,000-lbs. in 1998, so I'd bet it's the same or less for 1994. I think you'd be struggling up hills with it, and stopping may be another matter.

See what the gross weight would be with your trailer, truck and gear. It could probably handle it (although poorly) but I'd hate to see you have any issues with an insurance company if you get into a wreck after exceeding your truck's GVWR limit.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I'm basing that on towing with my truck with 3:73's and 33's. 16 ft trailer and (3) 4 wheelers feels like your trying to raise the titanic at every red light. That and my wife's 5.3 Tahoe with 3:42's and 33's-- straight turd in the acceleration department.

Mine also has 275k hard miles on the original engine so it's pretty wore out

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From my personal experience that is way too much trailer for your truck. I would stick to the 20 to 22 foot range and keep it under 4500 lb empty. You will load the piss out of it in a hurry. Even with my recommendations I would absolutely install a set airbags and an excellent trailer brake controller. I use the Prodigy III brake controller and I love it.