Transmission fluid question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolfden

Reaction score
I have a 98 GMC K2500 with a 5.7 and it is use mostly to pull my 24 travel trailer around.

I was wondsering what brand and type of tranny fluid is the best for towing conditions?

I was also looking at a B&M transmission pan that has a 3 quart extra capacity versues the stock pan and it is aluminum. It is kinda pricey at almost $200...Do these things really work ??

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good stories about the mag hytec pan. Holds extra fluid but is a little pricey. I'm going to order one soon since I'm pushing these big tires and they ate up my old tranny. I'm now running amsoil ATF. And man it runs way cooler since it's pure synthetic. So I'd say any full synthetic will help. But to get best results in swapping fluid I found a shop that sucked all the fluid out of the trany and torque converter then put the amsoil in. Our pans hold like 3.5 quarts and the converter holds 6.5 so you'd have to keep changing it over and over to get the rest out which is a pain

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the new dexron 6 is a snythetic might as well use that

wolfden

Reaction score
If I go with the dexron 6 would i have to have a shop do it to get all the old out before putting the new synthetic ie from the converter??

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can mix snythetic with the regular, will give you a semi

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
:jester:

Assuming you have an automatic, the most economical thing to do is buy 3 gallons of house-brand DexIII and roll with it. You really don't need DexVI unless you want to pay more for it, it IS a better fluid though. Forget the large pan idea, waste of money. Invest in a large transmission cooler, something rated for +20KGVWR. You don't need MORE fluid, you just need to keep it under 210 degrees.

If you're not familiar with the cooler-line flush method, learn it. It's really as simple as pie. Pull the upper hardline going into the radiator, screw in a male fitting (IIRC it's 3/8), slide 6' of hose onto in and into a bucket, start the truck IN PARK and let the pump push the fluid out. Refill the pan with ONE GALLON of transmission fluid, then start the truck and let it pump that out. Pour in another gallon, repeat. Then you can screw the hardline back on, pour one gallon of fluid into the transmission and it should be at the correct level. That's the easiest way to completely flush the transmission, and I do it every 20K miles.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
man now i feel ripped off finding this out now. just paid for an hour of labor at a shop to basically do what you described....but full synthetic is better than non synthetic IMO

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my DD 99 silverado i change filter and fluid every 6 months need it or not. I use walmart brand fuid with a quart of lucas transmission additive. Truck just turned 200k with the same trans
You must be registered for see images attach