Transmission Fluid Question (With Pictures)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lizey93

Reaction score
Attached is a picture of the transmission fluid in my 4L60 (truck has 206k miles on it). Looking for opinions on if I should change the fluid/filter or not at this point? Leaning towards pumping the old stuff out with the radiator lines/pulling new stuff in after I change the filter but hoping someone with more knowledge than me can chime in. Thanks!

Please ignore the black smudges on the paper the only thing I had to wipe the fluid on was a receipt haha

You must be registered for see images attach

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I would drop the pan and change the filter and refill then flush the lines and converter along with a filter when you get back. Ive definatly seen worse, but then again ive killed a few 4l60es
Attached is a picture of the transmission fluid in my 4L60 (truck has 206k miles on it). Looking for opinions on if I should change the fluid/filter or not at this point? Leaning towards pumping the old stuff out with the radiator lines/pulling new stuff in after I change the filter but hoping someone with more knowledge than me can chime in. Thanks!

Please ignore the black smudges on the paper the only thing I had to wipe the fluid on was a receipt haha

Dan_Frisbie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having the tranny professionally flushed is your best option. They back-flush and exchange all of the fluid, removing any contaminates at the same time.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
What all these guys said. I'm big on changing & flushing ATF & filters. If it fails after, it was going to fail anyway.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Just another opinion YOU be the judge ! I know I have been refused a flush service on a transmission before that was a high mileage vehicle with very burnt nasty fluid in it.

1. When not to flush your transmission
    Before draining or flushing you should pull the dip stick and look at the fluid. If it is dark, burnt smelling, and you see little flakes or speck in it, DO NOT FLUSH IT. The fluid and transmission possibly has hard part damage, but the transmission just has not figured out it should die yet. If you flush a transmission in this condition it could fail right away. Real strange, but that is what seems to happen. If your transmission is in this condition just drive it while you save for a replacement transmission. There is no way of telling when it will fail. It might be today, next week, or next year, but it is doomed.

The goal here is to flush the transmission BEFORE the fluid gets contaminated. What you are taking out should look like what you are putting in. Do not wait for a color or smell change. Most manufacturers calls for transmission fluid change at 30,000 mile intervals. The industry standard is two years or 24,000 miles whichever comes first. It is your vehicle, you decide what is best for you.

Last edited:

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Not a chance in hell I'd change that if it was my truck. I've seen it many times when the service writer sells the job because he wants the commission coin and the trans never works right again. If it's shifting fine top it off, put in a good additive product and run it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Change the filter and replace the fluid that comes out with fresh fluid. You'll still have majority old fluid in there. Clean the pan and magnet thoroughly. The new filter is the most important part of this job...

Richard

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is the same truck that you plan to tow with. Seeing the condition of this fluid I wouldnt reccoment that you do any heavy towing. As said before the fluid has many impurities in it. These impurities acutally help the trans have more friction causing the clutches not to slip. Sometimes when you change it and they loose that extra help from the fluid they begin to slip. This trans is definetly worn and very near the end of its life. You can swap the fluid and change the filter but its hard to tell if its too late.