Transmission Depot, good?no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
Yea... the problem with a "GM style" rebuilt is the specific builder doesn't give a sh*t. & big rebuild places just "replace as needed"...YOU PAY THE LABOR!! A GOOD local shop ( as I mentioned before) CARE about the fit/finish/reputation.

tom joyce

Reaction score
Why not try to rebuild it yourself? The 4l60e isn't really that hard. It's easier to do than the older ones (700r4, thm350 or 400) Get one from the junkyard, watch a video on you tube, and try it yourself.
These are electronic trannys, and if you take your time and be clean, they are really not that hard to do...

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very good info, thanks. I'm still debating on it but I might just rebuild it myself. My issue with that is finding tools at a decent price. I'll probably just buy the pullers and make my own tools for the seals but I'm having a difficult time finding the correct bushing drivers for this specific type of transmission as I don't really need a master set.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very good info, thanks. I'm still debating on it but I might just rebuild it myself. My issue with that is finding tools at a decent price. I'll probably just buy the pullers and make my own tools for the seals but I'm having a difficult time finding the correct bushing drivers for this specific type of transmission as I don't really need a master set.

Its really not that hard to do. Ive done a few 4L60Es. I have the ATSG manuals if you want to read over it. Shoot me a PM.

I use these guys for parts.

https://www.wittrans.com/locations

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Factory GM service manual for the 4L60E:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/190n5k52jzwcrvb/4L60E.pdf?dl=0

And the 4L80E:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7ckb9edafc7cgd/4L80E.pdf

Personally I don't trust any 4L60E as far as I could throw it, but maybe that manual will help someone.

I averaged 1.3 4L60E a month for a year in my other truck. It was broken parts, burnt parts, sprags, pistons, snap ring, and cracked case. One thing after another. Went with a 4L80E and beat the ever living snot out of it was 600HP. 250K+ miles on it and its still kicking. Its hard to beat them.

But a 4L60E can be made to last with a tune if you have the engine to hold it in gear.. Worst thing is everytime going up a hill is the 4-3 down shift then it up shifts, next hill it down shifts again and up shifts. Drove me crazy till i found out how to tune it so it stays in 4th gear. Helps gas mileage also.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I averaged 1.3 4L60E a month for a year in my other truck. It was broken parts, burnt parts, sprags, pistons, snap ring, and cracked case. One thing after another. Went with a 4L80E and beat the ever living snot out of it was 600HP. 250K+ miles on it and its still kicking. Its hard to beat them.

But a 4L60E can be made to last with a tune if you have the engine to hold it in gear.. Worst thing is everytime going up a hill is the 4-3 down shift then it up shifts, next hill it down shifts again and up shifts. Drove me crazy till i found out how to tune it so it stays in 4th gear. Helps gas mileage also.
Did you just say you went through 16 transmissions in a year?! Are you aware of the definition of insanity? :)

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you just say you went through 16 transmissions in a year?! Are you aware of the definition of insanity? :)

Hahah. Never claimed to be the brightest knife in the garage...
Well I paid for the first one and second one cause I didn't know why it broke and I was hard on it. But the next "few" were free per say.
We ran out of ideas to try so I got the 80e from my buddy and I threw it in there. Figured out what I needed to make it work and then took me a little while to figure out how to tune it.
This is before it was a popular swap and everybody swore they robbed 95% more power and such. I ended up going .2 faster and picked up 2mph in the 1/4. Coming from a 60E and 3000 stall.
Going from .70 to .75 OD helped a good bit towing also.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hahah. Never claimed to be the brightest knife in the garage...
Well I paid for the first one and second one cause I didn't know why it broke and I was hard on it. But the next "few" were free per say.
We ran out of ideas to try so I got the 80e from my buddy and I threw it in there. Figured out what I needed to make it work and then took me a little while to figure out how to tune it.
This is before it was a popular swap and everybody swore they robbed 95% more power and such. I ended up going .2 faster and picked up 2mph in the 1/4. Coming from a 60E and 3000 stall.
Going from .70 to .75 OD helped a good bit towing also.
If the 60E goes in my truck, I'm probably gonna go straight to the 80, even though I keep my engine stock. They sound like pretty badass transmissions.