Transfer case stupid question thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Can you shift into four wheel high while driving? I have always stopped but my girlfriend reached down and yanked it into four wheel high going about 35mph. It was fine but since I dont feel like replacing anything right now I figured i'd ask the experts.

You can but I prefer to be stopped and if you do it, it shouldn't be any faster than 25mph IMO I've done it with both push button (NP243/non autotrac) and floor shifted (NP241) many times out of necessity with only having to replace the rear seal on the NP243 but keep in mind your meshing moving parts that would fair better from lower speeds or non at all.

Canada RCSB Mike

OBS is what I like!!
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Spoke with the dealer the other day about my transfer case. wondering what model was in my truck due to the aluminum tag falling off. They have told me thats its a
NP1 transfer case. This is all new to me but does this coincide with another model. Is this transfer case fairly strong or should I look at upgrading.

Also if I re-gear the rear from 3:73 to 4:56 waht should I do to the front diff?

Thanks all

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
What year is the truck? Model? I assume 1/2 ton
How does your truck shift into 4x4? Lever on the floor? Electronic push button? Push button with "auto 4x4"?
What do you plan to do with the truck? The NP241 will hold up to a lot of abuse.
Whatever gears you put in the rear you must match in the front if you want to use 4x4. If they're 4.56s in the back you want 4.56s up front.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
You can shift in to 4hi while moving, 4lo you must be stopped and in neutral. My 4hi doesnt like disengaging until I turn truck off and turn it back on..

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alrught kind of a stupid question here. i was lookin under my pickup to see what tcase i have and on the tag it says 243 at the top, then on the bottom of the tag it says 272. i have push button 4x4 but no auto trac, is there such thing as an np272 or do i just have the np243 like i think i have?

irishluder

Reaction score
I have a 96 suburban 4x4 with 7.4l

what size is the hex bolt to drain the T-case?