Transfer Case Shifting Hard or is it just me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UrbanSuburban

Reaction score
New member here and recently became the owner of a 1999 Chevy Suburban LS K1500. It's got a Vortec 350, 4L60 Trans and Push button electronic 4x4. Everything works but today I tried using the 4x4 and it seems that when shifting from 2hi into 4hi or vise versa from a stop, either in park or in drive, it shifts a little hard. It shifts smooth as could be when shifting from 2hi to 4hi or vise versa while the vehicle is in motion. Is this normal for these transfer cases? I'm new to all this 4x4 stuff, so it may just be me being paranoid but I'm not sure. The truck is in otherwise great shape and I'm really enjoying it, so I guess I came here for a little reassurance.

UrbanSuburban

Reaction score
I should mention it shifts smooth when the trans is in neutral and the truck is at a stop.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "shifts hard" when at a stop, but it usually does take a little motion for the actuator on the front diff to engage.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

UrbanSuburban

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "shifts hard" when at a stop, but it usually does take a little motion for the actuator on the front diff to engage.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

What I mean by a "hard shift" is when you're at a stop and you change from 2hi to 4hi or visa versa, you can feel the truck jerk when the selected drive mode engages. It does this in park and drive, not in neutral.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like anything the transfer case could cause to me

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine doesn't shift hard when the truck isn't moving, but if I'm moving and I push the electronic 4Hi button at any speed, the transfer case shifts hard to me, which involves a loud clang and almost a stripping noise. The only time mine jerks like you describe when not moving is when shifting to 4Lo, which I've been told is normal...just my .02 FRNs.