Tranny fluid dipstick reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Drained the tranny fluid and replaced seal and filter (not a full flush, just dropped the plan), and trying to figure out if i have refilled the tranny properly and i'm having a hard time getting accurate readings. When i check the dipstick (truck in park and idling) when the truck is hot and warmed up, I get one side of the dipstick with a low reading at the bottom of the "cold" markings, and on the other side I get a higher reading near the bottom of the "hot" markings.

Is this common from everyones experience? and do you follow the low or the higher reading? I added 5 quarts after replacing the pan. Truck is running ok.

I need some advice. Im fairly rookie with tranny work, I really don't want to overfill, but obviously don't want my tranny being eaten up due to lack of fluid. Do you guys tend to get better readings cold? or warm? doesn't matter?

Thanks for the input and help

Chris

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Always check warm. Let it run in each gear for a few minutes. Each side should read nearly identical. But it sounds like you're within operating range. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine marks lower on one end so as like east302 stated that's what I go with.