Trailer shorting out, socket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeySS

Reaction score
My friend dropped his new trailer and it cut the harness in half. I spliced it all back together but the flashers don't work. Double checked the splices and nothing is mixed up. Ground is good on the trailer and truck. I removed one bulb and it starts working normally. But when bulbs from left/right are in, even the truck flashers cease to work. Bought a new bulb to replace one that was burnt. When installing it feels cross threaded. I think its shorting out in the socket... Any body have similar problems before?

JoeySS

Reaction score
Last night left, right and hazard did not work. Today right and hazard work perfectly When I throw the left signal it works but voltage bleeds over to the right signal also. Left is blinking at 100% brightness and right is flashing at about 25%. When it should be off.

JoeySS

Reaction score
Traced it down to the socket. Light socket is two vertical contacts. Obviously we did not line up the double filament bulbs correctly. Explains why it felt cross threaded and loose. It caused a dead short and another time it caused voltage to bleed over to the other side. Easier to see in the day time.