Trailer brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys quick question.....

How do you adjust the electric brakes on a trailer?

I can hear the electrical part of the brakes but no stopage happens.

Have to haul a tractor tomorrow and I'm not doing it unless I have working trailer brakes.

Thanks

1997chevydriver

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
1) Get a 3-piece chute.
2) Pull ripcord when ya need to slow that heavy thing down.
3) Practice running back there to re-pack chute during redlights.

You'll eventually get your times down fast enough to be back in the truck when it turns green. I'd personally avoid downtown traffic with a red light every block though. :nono:

Reaction score
Ok guys quick question.....

How do you adjust the electric brakes on a trailer?

I can hear the electrical part of the brakes but no stopage happens.

Have to haul a tractor tomorrow and I'm not doing it unless I have working trailer brakes.

Thanks

1997chevydriver

I adjust mine with the brake controller. I always have to readjust because my trailer weights vary so much, every load. What it sounds like to me is your trailer brakes may need to be rebuilt. Mine did the same thing to me a little over a year ago. I had one axle that the shoes and hardware fell apart which made the clicking sound, the electric magnet trying to engage the brakes. On the other axle the hardware was in tact but the magnents were shot and not engaging the shoes. I wouls suggest pulling the drums and inspecting each hub. They are real simple to rebuild as long as you have a place to get parts.

Reaction score
Ok I guess that could work..........:hmm:

But in all seriousness.........

Idk how much weight your planning on hauling or the distance. My suggestion is to get a look at them before pulling your next load, if your questioning will just the truck brakes be ok, then I personally wouldn't haul it. I've been pulling trailers big, small, loaded and unloaded across the country for the past 12 years and have lost trailer brakes and it cant be scary as hell. Before I leave if mine are acting up the boss knows I'm not leavin till they are fixed, no questions.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont hear clicking what I hear is like a whine from a fuel pump.

Even with by brake controller at 100%, brakes barely do enough to where I can feel a VERY slight bump

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idk how much weight your planning on hauling or the distance. My suggestion is to get a look at them before pulling your next load, if your questioning will just the truck brakes be ok, then I personally wouldn't haul it. I've been pulling trailers big, small, loaded and unloaded across the country for the past 12 years and have lost trailer brakes and it cant be scary as hell. Before I leave if mine are acting up the boss knows I'm not leavin till they are fixed, no questions.

The quote you put was directed towards mobs with the parachute.

If I don't get these things working I AM NOT hauling anything besides the mile to get this trailer back where it belongs

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I adjust mine with the brake controller. I always have to readjust because my trailer weights vary so much, every load. What it sounds like to me is your trailer brakes may need to be rebuilt. Mine did the same thing to me a little over a year ago. I had one axle that the shoes and hardware fell apart which made the clicking sound, the electric magnet trying to engage the brakes. On the other axle the hardware was in tact but the magnents were shot and not engaging the shoes. I wouls suggest pulling the drums and inspecting each hub. They are real simple to rebuild as long as you have a place to get parts.
Word!

Reaction score
The quote you put was directed towards mobs with the parachute.

If I don't get these things working I AM NOT hauling anything besides the mile to get this trailer back where it belongs

I knew where it was intended. Just a little fyi, I've seen some bad **** happen pulling trailers, bad brakes, load coming unstrapped and to much trailer and cargo for the truck to handle. Just before christmas litterally right out my back window on interstate 94, a guy was pulling an empty car trailer he borrowed, first time pulling a trailer, he even borrowed the truck from another friend. Anyway he didn't latch the tongue or hook the chains. It came off the truck and sat right in the middle of the highway and he kept going, no clue. A 23 yr old first load he hauled semi driver came upon it and swerved to avoid the trailer, rolling the semi. This caused a 8 car pile up and shut the highway down for 6 hours. The semi driver died on the scene. I wasnt doubting your skills or knowledge, just tryin to help out. If you have to rebuild the brakes and have any questions, PM me I'll do what I can to help.