Trailer Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
Has anybody put a brake controller in a 95??

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
do you have to hard wire it because i havent found a plug for one??

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes I did. My wife has a 95 w/t. The thing is the very base of base models. I ran the 4way standard stuff, then wired the brake controller and the battery charging prong on the 7 way. I screwed up and ran the signal for the brake controller to the drivers rear stop light, but its the same wire as the turn signal. So I stopped being lazy and wired it to the brake switch under the dash. Its pretty straight forward, just remember to run a fuse to protect the controller.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do a member search for 88GMCTruck and then look at all threads started by him. He has a trailer thread and in it I believe he sorta did a write up on how to install a brake controller. If you get stuck, ask for help and more than a few of us have done them.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is one of the best forums I have found for helping people with questions and not just yelling at them for being dumb.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is one of the best forums I have found for helping people with questions and not just yelling at them for being dumb.

Isn't that the truth! So many other forums that i'm a member off, the established members seem to always respond to questions by saying something like "search before you post, this has been asked a 100000 times you (insert profanity here)". And thats not right to say, because honestly the search feature on most forums suck and bring up a ton of irrevalant posts about nothing that you've searched for. I love the GMT400 forum, there is some great members here!

Oh and to the OP, as Sully said, it's a fairly easy install. If you have the towing package on your truck, the wires should be tied up underneath your master cylinder and brake booster on the drivers side. There should be one blue and one red 10 or 12 gauge wire. They should run down your drivers side frame rail to the rear frame horn where they will be tied up at somewheres around the spare tire crossmember!

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
i was under the truck awhile ago when i added a plug instead of the 4 **** wire harness and the last person that had this truck had no idea what they were doing with all this wireing they had half way done another 4 prong wire harness and then left it half way then taped it to the bumper with packaging tape and took the purple red and trailer brake wire and ran then half way back up the frame and taped with packaging tape