Towing truck on car hauler with High Mileage Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1995sierraz71

Reaction score
Recently I purchased a 1999 GMC Yukon SLT 4x4. The truck is in excellent shape and runs great. I need to go pick up an f150for a buddy. Was wondering if it is a good idea to pull this setup (trailer weight unknown but under 3k #). The truck is a reg cab long bed 2wd 6cyl, so its not real heavy. engine is a jasper 350 with under 15k on it but the tranny (4l60e) has 208k. It has external tranny cooler. Also has 3.42 which are not ideal for towing. It may have been better to post in transmissions, but the question is kind of both. Thanks. I have pulled this setup several times with my k1500 sierra but has 3.73 and nv3500 5 speed so it wasn't bad. both have trailer brake hookups. just thought id give the pickup a rest since ive put 5k on it in like a month.

1995sierraz71

Reaction score
forgot to actually state my real question. Do you think this trucks tranny can handle it? It shifts perfect and whatnot, but with gearing (with stock tires), I am not sure if it can take it with the mileage. Its only 40 miles of relatively flat backroads. Thanks!

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Just run 3rd gear if it makes it shift down regularly, Thats what tears them up. I used to pull my 17' ski boat with mine in OD regularly without a problem. When it gets hilly, just pull it to 3rd and let her sing. I didn start breaking automatic transmissions until i discovered 35" mickey thompson Baja claws.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
I'll agree on putting it in third. It's best to do that anytime you're on hills though (I do it when driving through hills without a trailer). The trans gets hot when it's constantly shifting from OD and down again going through hills, which is what messes it up.

To answer your actual question though, I think the transmission will do fine for that job. It's not like you're driving an incredibly far distance anyway

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should be fine. Like has been said, put it in 3rd and let her roll. I pulled a 7k lb travel trailer about 350 miles a couple years ago with 180k on the original trans. I'm at 203k now and still not a hiccup.

untchabl

Reaction score
As everyone has said, put it in 3rd and leave it there. Let that small block rev, it can do it all day long. When I'm towing on the highway, I'll run 70mph at 2,800rpm for hours at a time. Not great for gas mileage but better for the trans than shifting in and out of OD.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With 3.42's and about 5K behind you (4k truck+1k avg trailer) you also want to try to "pace" any traffic lights. That is a fair amount of load to get rolling from a stop. If you can keep it rolling it will be easier in the transmission.