Towing capacity for 2door tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Seems like the burban ones work on the pickups, but we were trying to put a pickup hitch on a 2 door yukon (94) and it would not fit.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Seems like the burban ones work on the pickups, but we were trying to put a pickup hitch on a 2 door yukon (94) and it would not fit.
Well i took one off a tahoe and bolted it right up to a pickup

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So following up.

Got a hitch off of a 4door tahoe and it fits on my 2 door SUV.

Tried putting a pickup hitch on the 2dr and it was waaaaay too low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tinkerinmatt

Reaction score
My dad bought a 95 Tahoe new with 3.73s and the tow package, 350/4l60e and it had his 19 foot Grady on a tandem axle trailer behind it for the first 90k miles if its life. Normal "to the lake" weight was about 4500lbs, but every year we towed it from CT to NC, 14 hours in 100 degree July heat with everything a family of 4 and 2 100lb labs would need for 2 weeks, so about 5500lbs probably, this was before the lift and tires. ALWAYS tow in 3rd if the trailer has any type of wind resistance or is over 4000lbs. When I towed my buddys boat which was only 3500lbs and sat really low on the trailer it had no wind resistance, so it could be towed in OD on the FLAT stretches IF the tranny was not going in and out of TC lockup. I also NEVER recommend downshifting an automatic for hills, that just adds way too much heat to a tranny, just leave it in 3 all the time. I also used it to tow my Camaro on a 2000lb uhaul trailer to the track 3 hours away, with the trailer, car, tools, wheels, everything it was about 6000lbs, and it was no sweat, partially because little wind resistence. The boat had more resistance on the highway, but the car was heavier to accelerate. It still towed the boat occasionally and my car up to when it was sold with 160k miles, stock trans, no failures ever, never overheated, ran 87 octane. Biggest weakness I'd say is the short wheelbase, the uhaul trailers force you to pull the car all the way forward for the way the tie downs are, and my car is pretty nose heavy, so it was probably over 1000lbs tounge weight, but at that point it had a 3" lift with an add a leaf. It was a little bit bouncy, the longer wheelbase of my ext cab TBI z71 or his new 05 4 door Tahoe made it a little nicer. For the OP, theres more than just a hitch in the tow package, it includes a bigger tranny cooler and an oil cooler. The tranny cooler is the most important, but with the iron block the oil cooler helps too. The tahoe had mobil 1 every 3000 miles, and tranny fluid was synthetic and changed every 10,000 miles. All trailers towed behind that Tahoe had surge brakes, and we kept them in tip top shape, and never had any issues braking. The boat is a 1990 Grady White Tournament 19 with a 2002 Evinrude 200 3.3 liter 2 stroke direct injection. It will do 57 with 1 person, 55 with the family, pulls a slolom skiier out of the hole as hard as a malibu ski boat, and can fly out 10 miles offshore for fishing out of Topsail Beach. My dad has kept it so clean you could eat off the hull. Great boat that I cant wait until he is ready to sell it to me.

attachment.php

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Tinkerinmatt

Reaction score
And heres the picture of it towing my camaro. I miss this truck, from 05 until this year it wasnt garaged, and years of OBX beaches and CT salt started to take its toll. You can see how much more squat it had with the camaro behind it, because of the way the uhaul trailer makes you pull the car all the way forward. There had to be 1000lbs of tounge weight on it, but the add a leaf really helped. Accelerating a TBI is always easy, they make SO much torque down low. 3rd gear at 65-70 was no issue, and the truck averaged about 10mpg highway with either the boat or the car.

attachment.php

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: