Towing capacity for 2door tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 1995 2 door tahoe, 5.7L 4L60E

it is completely factory and am wondering what my towing capacity is on a stock setup.

I heard that if you are towing lots, you will need a tranny cooler and tranny temp gauge.

I am planning on towing a single axle, non elec brake 6x12 cargo trailer (estimating 2000lb), possibly 4000-5000lb loaded.

At what point are trailer brakes necessary? ( I am assuming I will need to check with my local/provincial government?)

If you guys can't answer this, at what point is a trannycooler, and tranny temp gauge necessary? It has a 3.43 rear end I believe

Anything else I need? The 2 doors are a bit shorter and I'm hoping I can get away with a standard hitch

Thanks

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'm not sure of towing capacity but your truck should handle that trailer fine keep it out of OD and she should be fine. Tranny cooler and gauge are never a bad idea

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure of towing capacity but your truck should handle that trailer fine keep it out of OD and she should be fine. Tranny cooler and gauge are never a bad idea

Leave it in 3rd at all times? Or just when going down a grade.

I'm not planning on going morethan 60-70mph unless flat

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Leave it in 3rd at all times? Or just when going down a grade.

I'm not planning on going morethan 60-70mph unless flat
Yes leave it in third it's hard on the tranny shifting jn and out of OD a bunch as it will while pulling. I tried it once for about 5 miles it was shifting quite a big and I have 3.73s

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a hitch for my 2 door tahoe. Do you guys know if it is the same for all GMT400 SUVs? So suburban, 4 door and 2 door? I'm shopping online and it's not giving me an option to select between 2 and 4 door..... I also tried full size blazer but it doesn't ask for 2 or 4 door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even suburban ? I was going to buy one for 180$ but I guess I'll go to a wrecker and pay 40$. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i tow a dual wheel trailer with a vehicle on it occasionally, biggest one was a big old mud truck, big block, sm465 trussed 1 tons and a bunch of extra metal work, it pulled it just fine, one thing is more so with a short wheel base is you feel the trailer alot more, so if it sways you can feel it more so than an extended cab truck.