Towing capability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you will be fine winding it out in direct (3rd on auto, 4th on manual) with a WD hitch and a Tekonsha controller. I run a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and it is nice, auto leveling, presets for trailer weights, etc.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Speaking of towing capacity, I also cannot get a definitive answer to what I can tow with my truck. Can anyone please help decode my sticker? Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/x4y7JWyWzBKhOY5M9OEglQzvxDgjVNsOY6IV4L2u1NI

You must be registered for see images

The GT4 code indicates a 3.73 rear axle. Here are the half-ton tow capacity tables from a 1998 owners manual. I would think that it'd be the same for 96-98, at least.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRAJB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
East302, thanks for the info. I guess I should clarify that I have a K2500 Crew Cab, with the 5.7 and shortbed.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here you go, hope this helps. This is from a 1998 manual and only gives the ratings for crew cabs for one-tons.

Last edited:

MRAJB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow thanks. Funny how my 3/4ton k2500 tows less than a 1/2 ton even with the bigger brakes, 8-lug and stiffer suspension. But its payload is higher.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the owners manual blows for that. If I were home I could post a much better link with more accurate figures. I just can't understand why they'd publish more than 1 set of ratings. The ones in the brochure specify reg/ext/crew cab and long/short box and single/dually and normal or heavy half. All the things the owners's manual disregards.

MRAJB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, well if you get around to it I would appreciate it. Looking to but a trailer, so just want to make sure I'm shopping for one I can tow.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are the tables from a 1998 brochure. Supercharged may have more detailed info.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'll get home late tomorrow night. If this thread is still kicking I can contribute what I have.