Towing camper will 4:10 gears be better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
I swapped out my stock trans cooler for an aftermarket one that's about 2.5 times as big using the write up on here. Running 35s with 3.73s I am still able to tow just about anything and that's going up into New Mexico high country. I also put a corvette servo on my trans and I really feel like it helped me when I get things rolling through the shift points. I do have a Black Bear tune which helps a lot but I always pull in 3rd. My only complaint is that I get about 9 mpg doing it haha

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I'm going to be towing in third gear for sure then, as far as rpm while towing in third gear should I just try and keep it under 2500rpm? I'm going to also look into the bigger trans cooler too. grampadirt that's exactly what I need a 7.4 2500 that would be a towing monster. I'm not going to buy smaller tires if I have to run the truck in 3rd gear because in third gear it tows great its just revving higher than I'm comfortable with. If anything I might actually move up to a 275/75/16 to take a little bit of gear away while I'm towing in third gear. Kyle97gmc do you know about what rpm your truck is at 60mph or 65mph in third gear with your size tires? Again thanks a lot guys for your input I'm new to the camper towing scene and you just saved me from throwing away $1400 bucks!

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
You will strain your entire drivetrain more with taller tires every time you take off from a stop. Running a taller tire effectively raises your final drive ratio, to where you're close to a 3.42 gear anyways. The engine will take more abuse from this than sustaining a few hundred more rpm's down the highway.

If you only change the rear tires for shorter height, you could be in trouble if you need 4wd, because you have different drive ratios front to back. Not good.

I have a half ton 4x4 suburban with a warmed up 350. I run 34" tires and 4.56 gears. This big beast of a SOB finally has some low end grunt with this combination. The truck gets moving sooo much easier than it did with 3.73's. The engine is much happier now. I drove this truck loaded with people and luggage from louisiana to NY all the way through the Appalachian mountains a couple months ago. Safe to say the minimum highway rpms were 2500, and at times sustained 2800+ for good distances. The engine is fine. Your imaginary not to exceed rpm limit is too low. Heck, the engine probably doesn't make peak torque until you're over 2500 anyways.

I say leave it be. Yes, you'll consume more fuel, but wouldn't that be the case with a 6.0 or a bigblock anyways? Look at it like this...how many tanks of fuel for towing in 3rd at 2500+ rpm's does a pair of gear swaps at $1800+ buy you? Or transmission rebuild by towing in OD?

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Ok so I'm going to be towing in third gear for sure then, as far as rpm while towing in third gear should I just try and keep it under 2500rpm? I'm going to also look into the bigger trans cooler too. grampadirt that's exactly what I need a 7.4 2500 that would be a towing monster. I'm not going to buy smaller tires if I have to run the truck in 3rd gear because in third gear it tows great its just revving higher than I'm comfortable with. If anything I might actually move up to a 275/75/16 to take a little bit of gear away while I'm towing in third gear. Kyle97gmc do you know about what rpm your truck is at 60mph or 65mph in third gear with your size tires? Again thanks a lot guys for your input I'm new to the camper towing scene and you just saved me from throwing away $1400 bucks!

I run about 2800 rpm in 3rd @ 75 mph when loaded and about 2500 rpm @ 70 mph. Highways in New Mexico are fairly flat with a few dips and slight elevation gains for the most part and once you start climbing into the mountains you tend to be going about 50 mph or less. If I had to guess it'd be right around 2200 or 2000 rpm @ 65 or 60 mph

I do want to eventually get some 4.56s swapped in but at the moment she does everything I ask her too so it hasn't been a huge priority

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Peak torque is 2800 rpm, so I would want to be just slightly above that RPM when towing, so that when you start a hill, it's not going to want to fall off as fast.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya this is very true ill just leave it alone and run it in 3rd gear. when something gives ill upgrade it then.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My pig runs 3000 RPM or better in 3rd down the road and it always runs 180 degrees. As long as the converter is locked, trans runs around 160-180 degrees dragging 8500#. You're making this out to be more than it is. Do a full exhaust and a good tune and you'll be shocked at the gains in low end torque. Also, towing in OD with the 4L60 doesn't make the fluid run hot, but I do believe it heats a planetary. The real killer is the 3-4 clutch pack, it just doesn't deal well with OD + towing. Some people get away with it, some don't.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is great advice I'm just going to stick to third gear because it does work well and just keep the rpm out of my mind lol.