Towing camper will 4:10 gears be better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what is wrong with towing in overdrive as long as I'm not shifting all the time wouldn't that be better on my motor instead of revving it higher? I feel like if I had that extra 300rpm in overdrive that would be the sweet spot. I have a factory oil cooler on my truck already.
If you want to make it turn more rpm you could also put tires on it that aren't as tall. I'd also install a trans temp gauge.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I'm hearing 2 complete opposite views, I've been told as long as I can hold overdrive without constant shifting than the transmission will be perfectly fine? Its the constant shifting that heats up and kills transmissions right? Plus what about all the people that are towing with 5.3 and 6.0 with 4spd that are towing In overdrive how are they able to do it and I can't? I really appreciate the feedback. Would I be better off to actually go to a 3.42 gears and just tow in 3rd gear?

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sorry bicycles lol, I've been reading thru this forum and it seems like there are a lot of guys with my same setup towing just as much weight if not more with no problem. And I know every setup is different but I have seen a lot of half ton gmts in the campgrounds towing 24ft campers and even 26ft campers and it left me wondering if I was missing something haha.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I tried towing my toy hauler(not fully loaded,maybe 6,000lbs with a few things)with my wife's '99 GMC Suburban(5.7,4L60E,4x4) and quickly realized I needed more truck.That Burb might have handled it OK for a while but I'm convinced there would be a price to pay eventually.Sure you might see other trailers being towed by 1/2Ts but for how long?Every time I see that I feel sorry for the tow vehicle.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I guess I have to really think this over before I spend that kind of money, grampadirt did you end up buying a 6.0 2500?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
As previously mentioned, it would be much cheaper to get a pair of shorter tires and swap them on when you plan to tow something. I would go even shorter than 245/75/16.

If you put a pair of 225/75/16's on the rear for towing, it would be effectively the same as swapping your current 3.73's for 4.10 and keeping the same size tires.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
what is wrong with towing in overdrive as long as I'm not shifting all the time wouldn't that be better on my motor instead of revving it higher? I feel like if I had that extra 300rpm in overdrive that would be the sweet spot. I have a factory oil cooler on my truck already.
No its much better to spin your engine higher than try and tow in OD.