Towing a 4 Wheel Drive Tahoe with a dolly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wasn't aware t-cases needed lubrication. Thought they had the same needs as a manual trans.

Ironroad9C1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did find this .. "In most cases you are best to flatbed a 4x4 or front tow and pull the rear driveline. Generally, with 4x4s there is no middle ground in regard to towing. Depending on the design of the transfercase you can either tow it cross-country in neutral or destroy it in 200 feet. GM vehicles equipped with the transfercases shown above can be front towed or flat towed indefinitely with the transfercase in neutral. The oil pump runs off of the rear driveshaft.

I'm a transfercase engineer at New Process Gear. Any questions about transfercases let me know."

the whole post about putting autotracs in nutral is here , but I would just be safe and pull the shaft from the rear diff.

http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/61780/GM-Transfer-Cases-brief-quot-quot-Neutral?page=1#.WTsYBOvyuUk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is it the auto boxes only that are iffy? Otherwise what's the point of neutral? It's not like you'll be running a hydraulic pump off the thing.

Ironroad9C1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well unless its full time 4wd like the typhoons and tbss the t case pump is supposedly driven off the rear shaft so even in nutral I guess it is lubed.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I thought too. I seem to recall someone trying to instill doubt with regard to flat towing a Ford with a T5 but I dragged that car on all fours from South Dakota to CA and then to CO and it was fine. There are some oddballs out there though and I swear there's an old school Ford automatic that had the pump driven off the driveshaft. Any idea what kind of coupling the Typhoon and TBSS use in the case?

Ironroad9C1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they have a viscous coupler , the difference in wheel speed determines where the power goes, you cant unlock the front and rear from each other vs regular t case will disconnect both shafts from each other as well as disconnect them from the input shaft of the tcase.