TOW RIG OVERHAUL! 2nd time... diesel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
CAT 3126 would be pretty sweet. But a DT466 might also be sweet. I'll be following to see what you do since I have a crew cab c3500HD long long term project and I am exploring the option of a medium duty engine.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
CAT 3126 would be pretty sweet. But a DT466 might also be sweet. I'll be following to see what you do since I have a crew cab c3500HD long long term project and I am exploring the option of a medium duty engine.

Cat just scares me because I've been told the newer engines had a lot of problems. A dt is my last choice if all else falls

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Cat just scares me because I've been told the newer engines had a lot of problems. A dt is my last choice if all else falls

I've heard good things about the 3126, the next in the line is the C7 and that is the engine with all the environment-friendly components. I believe the 3116 and 3126 are mechanical injection but I don't know 100%

And yeah, it was a conversion when it was brand new. Used to be a construction truck although prior to that I believe it was a Union Pacific or BNSF truck. Needs everything and I still haven't picked it up yet. I will when I get rims.

img_0401-jpg.187411

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I vote just find another 6.5L, it will obviously bolt right in. :)

If you are willing to give the 6.5L the care it asks for, it will be a reliable beast. I personally think the main reason I do so good with them is I only get 5 speeds, the 6.5L runs fairly warm, and a manual keeps any excess heat out of the cooling stack. Mine get worked hard and dont miss a beat.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
I vote just find another 6.5L, it will obviously bolt right in. :)

If you are willing to give the 6.5L the care it asks for, it will be a reliable beast. I personally think the main reason I do so good with them is I only get 5 speeds, the 6.5L runs fairly warm, and a manual keeps any excess heat out of the cooling stack. Mine get worked hard and dont miss a beat.

I'm not ready to give up on my "Napoleon syndrome" massive engine idea yet...

UPDATE: just got off the horn and located the isuzu 6hk1 aka duramax 7800. It's probably not a high torque version but it's a running ready to go engine for under 2k locally... with this savings, I would like to think I can order a Tremec 7 speed to compliment this swap...

If anyone knows someone who knows these engines well, I could use the help to see if I can make this one into the "high torque" version.

I will probably go pay for the engine and see if he can store it till my house is finished and the truck is in my garage...

I need to stop side tracking from my house after this...

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone on here is good with Photoshop? Probably a far stretch in a group of truck enthusiasts but hell, no harm in asking