TOW RIG OVERHAUL! 2nd time... diesel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
CAT doesn't sound bad to me. but the reviews on them sound worse than the 6.5TD... I plan to build a tow rig.

for example, the reviews I get on the 7.8l duramax, are owners complaining about wanting more power... well they made 200hp models with 500ft lbs tq and then 275hp with 860 ft lbs tq... and a bunch in between... they are also only offered in c6500s to c8500s... big trucks. but nothing on reliability. they continue to run.

that is the engine I want, the one that works, continues to work, and when it works-it works hard....

plus the 7.8 can be re-sleeved in the truck, they are removable. that is an excellent feature.

the engine was designed to work hard for many miles. anyone who really knows Isuzu, knows they've made diesels from the 30's or 40's... primarily in the working industry. that background cannot be ignored

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@skylark what is the story on the brown one?

As far as the two duallys, I assume both were stock turbo and automatic with no EGT guage?

IMO that has alot to do with the failures. when the 6.5L runs out of power on a hill, the auto goes for the downshift and the motor screams away with high boost. As we know from the forums, the GM turbos have high drive pressures and are not very efficient and run high EGTs.

While we will never know, it would be interesting to see how an A-Team turbo would have affected the outcome.

But I have a few rules when buying a 6.5L. No low miles, and no automatics. It makes life easier.
The brown one was diagnosed as needing an injection pump by an ex GM mechanic. I bought it cheap and replaced the PMD. I sent it to my detailer and flipped it for a very nice profit.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
Any updates on this build?

Ok ok ok.... I have not abandoned this thread...

So everyone knows I had a son in January, well then i decided i need a home so i bought an abandoned house with 4.5 acres, 2 car garage, 2 car barn and bunch of other **** for 30k in June... that became my project. I'm a month or so from completing the restoration to move in.... also started a government job I waited 2 years for a security clearance in July....

Fast forward to present day, I traded my 454 tow rig for an international 4600 that I quickly parted ways with for a considerable amount.... I have purchased a 3500hd 6.5td nv4500 for the build. The truck won't be at my place till I'm finished and moved in. I just needed to explain why this thread went dormant for a bit.

I hope I have not lost my subscribers. The info on the 3500hd is 100k miles, blown 6.5td (motor is already sold) and I know the original owner and have full service records of the truck. The chassis was coated every year and is clean enough to believe it rolled off the showroom floor last year. Everything is there except the engine. Paid 1500 bucks.... good deal or did I get completely screwed? Rhetorical question. The trans, rear end, and dump are worth way more than I paid... not to mention, I think I have the dump and pto sold for 1250... But the guy hasn't agreed yet. I'm thinking if i get 1000 for it, i have a complete roller for 500 bucks....

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
I don't want to go a pickup engine. I want to explore engines used in gm medium duty trucks. Although if I were to stray from gm, the dt466 sounds pretty sick...