Tow Ready

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No plans on roasting tires because they are too expensive and I don't know if the tired Tbi 350 can do much tire roasting. And won't be a dedicated tow rig either. So my other question is what gear do you all recommend most for a medium happy for city/hwy(70 maybe 75mph max) and some towing. 3.73 or 4.10 or other?

unklemikey28

Reaction score
I've been told that when you add a bigger tire size that it negates a smaller gear size like my 3.42s. My tires right now are 33s and I'd like some that are bigger so the 4.10s are sounding pretty good to me.

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm running 32" M/Ts so I calculated what I need to be back to stock performance and I got 3.65 which rounded to the nearest is 3.73 but I would like a little better than stock performance so I'm am going back in forth between 3.90s and 4.10s, any advice or experience with those two gear ratios?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I'm running 32" M/Ts so I calculated what I need to be back to stock performance and I got 3.65 which rounded to the nearest is 3.73 but I would like a little better than stock performance so I'm am going back in forth between 3.90s and 4.10s, any advice or experience with those two gear ratios?

Do you have a 2wd? I don't believe they make a 3.90 front. The difference between them is negligible anyway.

Give this a whirl

https://www.ringpinion.com/calculators/Calc_RPM.aspx

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have a 2wd? I don't believe they make a 3.90 front. The difference between them is negligible anyway.

Give this a whirl

https://www.ringpinion.com/calculators/Calc_RPM.aspx

Yes I have a 2WD and the calculation from your link is 60 rpm different than what I calculated previously through another web site. Appreciated it though, I think the more research that you do and the more resources you use the better off you will be making the right decision.!

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Yes I have a 2WD and the calculation from your link is 60 rpm different than what I calculated previously through another web site. Appreciated it though, I think the more research that you do and the more resources you use the better off you will be making the right decision.!

The difference is probably whatever they are using as the transmission OD ratio

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually with towing and that "rare beauty" your first concern had better be that frame. Those trucks are built on a standard cab chassis that has been stretched and is known for cracking. You need to get that frame boxed and braced.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually with towing and that "rare beauty" your first concern had better be that frame. Those trucks are built on a standard cab chassis that has been stretched and is known for cracking. You need to get that frame boxed and braced.

This is absolutely correct. Did not realize the truck in question was a Centurion until just now.