Tow Ready

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unklemikey28

Reaction score
Thanks everyone on yalls input! I don't see myself coming down on the tire size but I have been looking at going to a junk yard to get a 4L80E and a 14 bolt FF. I just wasn't entirely sure on what else I could do.
Shorty01GMC, you're out of luck on getting this truck because I have no intentions of ever selling this rare beauty lol

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why do you all recommend swapping to a 14bolt? What is wrong with a 10bolt with better gears?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Why do you all recommend swapping to a 14bolt? What is wrong with a 10bolt with better gears?

It's still weaker. Since 14b SF axles are common and bolt on, why not step up?

If I had a ten bolt, I wouldn't be in any hurry to swap it, but if I were putting money in an axle, it would be the 14b. Even GM put them in half tons that were intended to haul at all.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
What is the difference in a 14bolt FF and SF? Is it just the 6 or 8 lug shaft?

You can't get a 6 lug FF. The SF has a 9.5 ring gear VS a 10.5, and of course, is semi floating.

I just had my SF shafts out, and at 33 splines, they are beefy, and heavy. I'm completely unconcerned about anything breaking in my diff, except my G80 lol.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Because he said the truck is going to be used primarily for towing. 14B is way stronger than 10B.

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my question should have been should I be worried about my 10b rear end with 3.42s and 32" m/Ts? I do mostly city/hwy driving with some occasional towing. I don't plan on towing a bunch of stuff around but I would like for it to be capable for the here and there trailer towing. My plan was to install a posi carrier and maybe 3.73s or 4.10s.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
So my question should have been should I be worried about my 10b rear end with 3.42s and 32" m/Ts? I do mostly city/hwy driving with some occasional towing. I don't plan on towing a bunch of stuff around but I would like for it to be capable for the here and there trailer towing. My plan was to install a posi carrier and maybe 3.73s or 4.10s.

I wouldn't worry about it, lots of trucks running around with it, but I wouldn't spend any more on it either.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I say go for it honestly. If the truck isn't going to be on dedicated tow duty and you don't plan on roasting the tires every single day, your 10 bolt will probably be fine. I have two 10 bolt G80 trucks (that I beat on pretty hard once in a while) and they're still just fine. I have a Detroit Locker and 4.10s sitting in the garage for the one in my red truck if/when it decides to go.