Tow Hitch question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great white im going run with this until i get my trailer connector fixed and well get some more money together.

I have a friend running a 96 Z71 and he tows a 1/2 ton trailer with a crap load of lawn care equipment and he doesnt really have an issue with the exact same setup.

I see your sig has a 38ft? and well i dont plan on ever towing anything close to that...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Great white im going run with this until i get my trailer connector fixed and well get some more money together.

I have a friend running a 96 Z71 and he tows a 1/2 ton trailer with a crap load of lawn care equipment and he doesnt really have an issue with the exact same setup.

I see your sig has a 38ft? and well i dont plan on ever towing anything close to that...

35 footer. Just over 9,000lbs loaded.

It's your call, but grade 5 bolts are pretty soft for this use. even if your trailer and load is only around 1500 lbs.

It's the shock loading you have to worry about. IE: as you run down the road and hit bumps. Shock loads are exponentially larger than static loads.

You may be fine, you may not.....and it all depends on how often and how long you use it as such.

I do give you + points for using nylock nuts and flat washers though.

As I said, your call. Bolts are cheap....

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine has the 5.7 with a 4L60e and 3.42 gear ratio, as long as your truck ain't squatted too bad put it in 3 on the column and run with it cuz you got the truck to do it. My dad went so far as to put air bag suspension on the rear end so it wouldn't squat the truck and we were pulling 30 fr 5th wheel camper and an 800 gallon goose neck water trailer. You should be good but it will be hard on your tranny if you don't take your time speeding up, even if it takes you 3 miles to get to 55mph it's worth it in the long run.

gunz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Grade 5 bolts in this application are a REALLY BAD IDEA. Do it right before you hurt someone.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I use grade 8 for pretty much everything except the interior. Better to have it be overkill than wonder if it will hold.