Tow Hitch question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well hello everyone, if someone could help me it would be great. Im running a bone stock 5.7 Vortec with a vin depicted 4L60E transmission as well as 3.73 gears in the 10 bolt rear end. I believe i have more than enough to tow. I have the original GM tow hitch in the back of my tahoe and am really wanting to install it(previous owner took it off). Im just wonder is there anything special to installing one of these; Bolts, etc? or should i have someone else do it and not worry about it?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
The hitch should be easy. I think it is just 6 bolts to the frame and your done? Correct me if I'm wrong guys...

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
your right sic bolts thats it easy as it gets

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont get cheap bolts. I use grade 8. There is going to be a debate on the use of grade 8 vs grade 5. I used grade 8 and the bolts didnt break the hitch bent.

gunz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont get cheap bolts. I use grade 8. There is going to be a debate on the use of grade 8 vs grade 5. I used grade 8 and the bolts didnt break the hitch bent.

Grade 8 are actually straonger for shear than a grade 5, and made to be stronger for tensile strenght, so there is no reason not to use grade 8 bolts. Large washers never hurt to help spread the weight around the holes in the frame.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
More than enough to tow what, where and how far?

What cooling options are on the truck?

The components and ratios you've posted up are more in line with a commuter vehicle than a decent tow rig. If you're just talking a smaller trailer for hauling yard trash and whatnot around locally, you should be fine. If you're planing to throw a 30 foot travel trailer on there and cross the Rockies it's a whole different story....

Also, what class is the hitch? This is important depending on the weight of the towed item. I think the OEM parts dept ones were class IV.

At the very least, source some grade 8 bolts as suggested above....

Last edited:

BigV

Reaction score
There's towing and then there is TOWING.

My Suburban is pretty much identical. I pull a car to the track on a dolly just fine. About 3500 lbs total. Also have a 20' enclosed cargo trailer that gets all kinds of crap hauled in it. Not sure of weight but probably not more than 4000 lbs. Not an everyday thing obviously but the Suburban handles it.

For that kind of towing you should be fine. If you are thinking about hauling a 2000lb car trailer with a 6000lb tractor on it forgetaboutit.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys thanks, i got it all mounted up, need to fix the connection though. the 4 prong has a broke line come to find out. i dont plan on towing anything ridiculous that what my dads 06 Sierra is for.

I just ran grade 5 bolts from lowes and well if anything i will be hauling like Snowmobile trailers or what have you.

You must be registered for see images attach