Torsion Bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dahoyle

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have spent some time getting to know the forum, but this is my first post.

I will start with a description of the truck, and it's intended use.

The truck is a 1999 K2500 Suburban, and it is pretty much outfitted with HD components thruout. 454, 4L80, and the towing package which includes HD brakes, HD suspension, HD radiator, oil and power steering coolers, etc. The thing was essentially specced out as a tow beast, and it would perform that function very well.

I bought it specifically for the 3/4 ton driveline. I wanted the 454/4L80 combo, and the big brakes, but the suspension is a bit too firm for my liking. The max I would ever tow with it is about half of it's 10000 lb tow rating, and obviously, you can't exactly get heavy loads inside it, so..... it has more suspension than I need or want.

What I would like, is good handling(minimal body roll), good braking, and more flex for off road use.

The front end has the GL torsion bars, rated at 8782 lb/ft, and I would like to drop that significantly, but don't want to over do it either. The bars I am considering are GG, and are rated 6709 lb/ft.

From what I have been able to find, those are also 3/4 ton bars, but I don't have enough data to really support that assumption as written in stone.

I guess, the question is, does anyone have any experience with those particular bars? What is your impression? Do they feel harsh, or are they able to absorb bumps, etc. What is body roll like?

Basically, what I am after is a set of springs that are well suited to the weight of the vehicle and moderate loads, such as camping gear, or towing a boat(approx 3000 lbs). More than that is overkill, and only makes the ride unnecessarily harsh.