TopUp Vertical Lift Tonneau

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi,

I found this thread after getting excited about finding the ARE Topup, the topup perfectly fits my requirements, however also to my disappointment I see it is no longer manufactured.
Annoyingly I actually found it on their website - http://www.4are.com/product/pdfs/ARE_TopUp_Camper.pdf

I wanted to write to them as well but I could not locate an email address, if you have one please pass it over and I can view my thought to them as well.

Quick observations about other systems here;-

Pegasus - Over engineered, not high enough and no remote.
Herculoc - Like it a lot, still not high enough, I want to be able to stand up in the back, overhang is sort of ok, except using it when reverse parked could be an issue. Apart from that its pretty ugly compared to Topup although the security is nice. (quite heavy too)

So nice to meet you all and I'm here for a while until we find other options :)

Nacho

Ehhh.... El goog? Or just put in their URL?

A.R.E. Accessories LLC - Headquarters and Fiberglass Manufacturing Facility
400 Nave Rd.
PO Box 1100
Massillon, OH 44648

Yeah. I agree with your comments. I feel the same. TopUp was pricey but IMO, worth it. I wrote A.R.E. already but feel free. They don't seem very interested at all unfortunately in restarting production.

I also wrote to Gary Thacker (Herculoc guy). He told me that the GMT800 would fit GMT400s. The only caveats are (1) you'd have to do a little bit of fabrication for the lower mounting brackets in the bed - no big deal and (2) the current model is designed for the GMT800's with a tailgate spoiler so there would be a bit of overhang in the back - I don't like that. The other things that turn me off a bit from Herculoc is that (a) not exactly high-enough but pretty high (b) doesn't lift straight up - cab section left exposed (c) work-truck oriented - a bit fug. However, it seems really well engineered and durable - nuf said.

I'm pretty much leaning towards building my own starting with a snowplow hydraulic power unit and 2 rams as drawn earlier in the thread. Our buddy Selow will be kind enough to fabricate free waterproof snap-in curtains for me with PVC windows :naughty:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have no problem sewing this up, but the material/shipping costs are up to you. I can suggest several options for materials. All hardware would be marine grade. (stainless) Nylon zippers. I recommend minimal use of 'Velcro', as it has a limited life span, especially in the environment that this will be used.

nacho

Reaction score
Hi,
Ok I was hoping you had an email address for ARE, i'm probably not going to put pen to paper.

Also for your reference I'm based in Europe, and looking at purchasing a Ford F150 truck (Raptor) , I do a lot of camping and the topup was ideal because it also gave shade to the vehicle when in the elevated position. (hoping to cross a few deserts in Africa).

I think making one is a great idea, how close are you to starting this project ?

nacho

carspaz

Reaction score
DELETE - No longer have the side curtains

Last edited:

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
If you build one and the cover is made sturdy enough you could run a scissor system across the front of the bed and the hydraulics on the back corners so it wouldnt be in the way

Reaction score
Ehhh.... El goog? Or just put in their URL?

Yeah. I agree with your comments. I feel the same. TopUp was pricey but IMO, worth it. I wrote A.R.E. already but feel free. They don't seem very interested at all unfortunately in restarting production.

I also wrote to Gary Thacker (Herculoc guy). He told me that the GMT800 would fit GMT400s. The only caveats are (1) you'd have to do a little bit of fabrication for the lower mounting brackets in the bed - no big deal and (2) the current model is designed for the GMT800's with a tailgate spoiler so there would be a bit of overhang in the back - I don't like that. The other things that turn me off a bit from Herculoc is that (a) not exactly high-enough but pretty high (b) doesn't lift straight up - cab section left exposed (c) work-truck oriented - a bit fug. However, it seems really well engineered and durable - nuf said.

I'm pretty much leaning towards building my own starting with a snowplow hydraulic power unit and 2 rams as drawn earlier in the thread. Our buddy Selow will be kind enough to fabricate free waterproof snap-in curtains for me with PVC windows :naughty:

Sublo, have you had any luck building your tonneau lift? I am in the same boat and am trying to figure out a way to get tonneau to go straight up too. I have built some side panels and want to be able to have the tonneau go straight up and then after placing panels on all 4 sides of the box, lower tonneau down onto them.

Reaction score
Having a heck of a time finding suitable aluminum c track railings, like the ones used in original Top Up version. Been working on some rails using lengths of hardwood for the time being, just to get a working model.

Hogull

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get a TopUp when A.R.E. first started selling them. I got the basic model without the fabric sides. I love the thing!!! I use it all the time, and get compliments on it constantly. The only disappointment I ever had with it was the remote key fobs. The batteries ran out quickly and didn't always work unless you were aiming it directly at the unit in the engine compartment. I had a friend who bought a new truck back in 2012 and wanted to get one and found A.R.E. was no longer selling it. I tailgate every football season and at ever game have no less than 5 -6 people coming up to me asking where they can get a tonneau cover like it. I tell them A.R.E. used to make it but they no longer do. The IDIOTS at A.R.E. would be making a lot of money if all the people that come up to me were buying the top. I plan on moving the gear to the next truck i get forever and ever.