Top Kick, Kodiak, 3500HD Exterior Door Handle Info, Cheap Handles, and Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, answered my own question. The pawls on the Kodiak handles are longer.

Also, finally found a 3500HD nearby and went and grabbed the handles and linkages!!!

SCORE!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did this swap a few months ago. I was lucky enough to have access to a parts truck and got everything free. I did one side at a time so the locks needed modification. The lock cylinders actually go upside down in the HD handles from where they are in the stock handle. That made the lock pall go the wrong way so I cut it with a hack saw flipped it 180 and welded it back on. they work better than original as they got a much overdue cleaning and lubrication. The door actuator rods are very different from the stock rods as they go up from the handle and bend 180 then go to the latch instead of just going down. I am not sure they need to or why the stock rods wouldn't work. I wish I had seen this tread before doing the swap as I would have measured and photoed the swap.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll to get some pics and measurements for those trying to make their own rods. Although I'm sure it could be done with enough persistence, the rods have several bends that might make it difficult. Then the lock pawls would have to be fabricated-sounds easy except for the special notch where it attaches to the lock cylinder. The pawls are getting nearly impossible to find.

My problem was finding a yard that would be willing to sell just the handles and linkages. I found one place in Sioux City that was willing to do it, but he wanted 75 for each handle and 75 for each set of rods. So 300 plus tax and shipping. No Bueno.

I did this swap a few months ago. I was lucky enough to have access to a parts truck and got everything free. I did one side at a time so the locks needed modification. The lock cylinders actually go upside down in the HD handles from where they are in the stock handle. That made the lock pall go the wrong way so I cut it with a hack saw flipped it 180 and welded it back on. they work better than original as they got a much overdue cleaning and lubrication. The door actuator rods are very different from the stock rods as they go up from the handle and bend 180 then go to the latch instead of just going down. I am not sure they need to or why the stock rods wouldn't work. I wish I had seen this tread before doing the swap as I would have measured and photoed the swap.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If I recall the rods also have a narrow cut around them at the end so the clip can grab hold. I really don't think this is something that could easily be made by hand, but I could be wrong. Some folks surprise me with their skills even on small details. :)

Richard

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
IIRC the shorter rods have notches at both ends for the metal clips and the longer rods have a bulge at the bottom to catch the latch.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As Promised....here are several photos. I still think it would be hard to fab the rods....but it could probably be done. I think that there was a used rod on ebay a few days ago.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some more photos...