Tools needed to work on truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ckeene

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i live travel in a rv working as a pipliner surveyor, and space is small. Currently I have a 99 k2500 suburban, 02 2500 8.1 6 speed, and 05 2500 Avalanche. I have plenty of tools to work on the trucks, but looking to make a bare bones tool box to use when I get off work and want to work on trucks. I know the basic size sockets and wrenches, but asking what am I or could I be missing. Tired of looking over sockets and wrenches I do not need.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I used to be like you to, always searching for that 'one' socket or wrench in a sea of unorganized tools. Best thing I ever did though was get some really good high quality organizers for my tool box.

You can grab 2 or 3 'close' ones right away without going swimming and when you put everything away you know if something is still hiding under your workbench or grew legs and ran into your other shed.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I usually don't keep any tools in my truck, used to but took them out years ago to organize everything. It's been years and haven't got around to putting them back. But I think you can't have enough so bring all you can cram in it. You'll need the one you didn't bring.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I keep a set of heavy duty 20' long jumpers coiled up under the hood where the accessory tool box would go. I also keep a soft tool pouch behind the seat with a couple screw drivers,common used wrenches,slip joint pliers and vise grips. And zip ties of course. I replaced my bat bolts with 3/8 hex head bolts so I can actually jump a car. I guess I did road service to many years when younger.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You forgot bailing wire for when **** gets deep

I've limped my truck home when the bushing between the clutch pedal & the rod went south by tieing it all together with some pipe cleaners.
I use those for cleaning my sewing machine & I just happened to have a few stuffed into the bottom of the glove box.
Zip-ties probably would of worked easier, but this made it home through about 65 (very gentle!) shifts

You must be registered for see images attach