too much to tow??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94 C1500 ecsb, with a tbi 350, 700r4, and 3.42 gears, plus a towing package. I also have a 86 k10 rclb, that im pulling the motor and tranny out of. im sure its atleast 300 pounds less than stock, due to rust. plus another maybe 800 without the motor and tranny. i have a 16ft tandem axle car hauler. would it be too much for my half ton to pull the trailer and my 86, 25 miles? its mostly back roads, so nothing over 45 mph. im sure itll put a load on my truck, but im not sure if its too much to handle. if i have to, i can try and borrow my dads truck (2000 z71). but that might not be able to happen. any help will be appreciated. thank you.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine. Start slowly to avoid potential slipping of your tranny that might occur if you hammered it from a stop.

I've got a 97 so it has a Vortec 350 and a 4l60E and it's a half ton with 3.73 gears. I've towed stuff quite a bit heavier than that before. I've once pulled about 10K up what was probably a 5-6% grade. It wasn't very far maybe only a mile but I've towed other stuff not quite that heavy for long distances. I towed my parents 29' travel trailer which probably weighs about 6k almost 1500 miles.

I know that I've got a different drive train than you but if you are only going 25 miles with maybe 6k then you should have no issues.

Ironroad9C1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are fine, hell I towed **** with my wifes 2002 S10 that would make a full size truck cry... and that is with 200k on it.

94bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i got it done. the total weight on my slip was about 11400 lbs. my truck weighs about 5000 with me, a bunch of tools, and a couple subs in it. my 86 weighed around 35-3600 pounds, so it wasnt too bad. i just pulled a load of junk today, that has to weigh atleast 7 or 8k including the trailer. plus the 5k from my truck. AND, it only had about 5 pounds of tongue weight!!! hahah. pics in a few

94bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a flat bed, thats going on my "new" 83 F350 dually, an old home made log splitter, a junk 345 International motor, 2 old tractor loaders, 2 buckets, a thick plated wood stove, a lift gate from an old box van, a few old carts, and some other small stuff.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

94bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
last time i scrapped it was, either 225 or 240 a ton. i cant remember right now and my slips are all out in my truck.