Toasted 1 ton rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miles0

Reaction score
Stated with a morning drive to school usually takes me only 25 minutes but when had a PGA golf event in town that week which cause a lot of stop and go traffic adding another 20 mins to the driven I was about half a mile away from school at the last light and I noticed what looked like steam coming from the drivers side fender all my gauges read normal and no warning lights on the gauge cluster so I drove it the rest of the way and parked it now it was slightly smoking instead of steam opened the hood no fluids leaks or burned wires to be seen my classmate came over to help me out and said it my be the brakes not releasing properly we put some water on the driver side rim it Instantly hissed an evaporated that was the problem call triple A after school to get a tow home I even drove the truck onto the flatbed didnt hear any grinding noises or anything adnormal. I got it home backing it off the flatbed it took me 10 mins to beat the wheel lose and yup it cooked it self rotor,brake calipers,hub bearings..I replaced it all now I'm wondering has these happen to anyone else only one isolated brake lock up
You must be registered for see images
new parts
cooked originals
backed together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It has happened to many of us. Also when changing rotors and pads, best to change them as a set

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see it all the time... but then again, I'm a mechanic.....lol...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It takes a pretty badly neglected brake system for the calipers to be a problem. If you've ever rebuilt a caliper you know that all it is, is a piston that slides in a bore with a square-cut O-ring seal in there. If it's hanging up then there is some serious corrosion inside and that means the entire brake system is suspect from many, many years of neglect and failure to address a large amount of water in the fluid.

Hoses on the other hand go bad all the time simply from age and are a very common problem on these trucks.

Richard

Reaction score
On my '95 K2500 both front calipers were bad. The pistons were not binding the pads to the old rotors but installing new rotors and pads there was no way to get the pistons back in. I had good fluid release through the bleeders but even 2 large C clamps could not push the piston in. I was going to replace the hoses as well but they weren't available on the day I needed to have them so I gambled on them. With the new parts installed I could push fluid up to the master cylinder. Drained all fluid to front and rear brakes and refilled. After bleeding all was great.