Tired Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walkeraviator

Reaction score
about to pull the trigger on a 99 Tahoe 2wd. 207k miles. Mechanically it is amazing. Only issue is that the original springs are pretty tired and it handles like a boat. Would swapping in replacement coils and leafs stiffen her back up? If I went with 2” drop coils in front, should I go 3” drop kit on some replacement leafs out back? Is most of the issue in the front coils alone? Maybe just swapping front coils is enough to tighten things up? Lastly? If I drop it, how much will the ride suffer?

Apologize if this is repeated info... attempted to search first with no luck

Bardo

Reaction score
Lowering it should help out in 2 ways. First it will get you new springs up front (I don't think this is your problem.) Second, you will want to replace your shocks for shorter ones. ( this I do believe is your problem) I would also replace the rear shocks. That should help with your body roll problem.

In the Weeds

Reaction score
At 250,000 miles I replaced All Bushings, Front A-Arms, upper, and lower. Also the Rear Spring Bushings as they were worn out. Made quite a difference...

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did MOOG parts and springs all the way in front with Bilsteins and red Energy Suspension poly bushings.

Still have to get the rear done...ran out of time an money. Also going to install the Belltech front and rear sway bars.

This is for a stock ride height 1998 C1500 with 230000 miles. Wondering if I should replace the rear leaf springs as well while I have it apart....

Walkeraviator

Reaction score
I would agree with you on the shocks being the culprit. But they are brand new shocks according to the seller. I haven’t crawled under it to verify, but he has given me no reason to doubt him (every other part he claims as new checks out that way). Could they just be cheap? Wrong shocks maybe?

Edit*
Talked to owner. He sent me image of receipt from shock installation. All new KYB shocks.

Could this be a sway by issue?

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I agree with the bushings comment. Replace everything with Polyurethane and report back :waytogo:

Reaction score
Just my .02, but I'd get some opinions from others who have installed polyurethane bushings. I did the entire suspension on my '93 C2500 in poly and it was absolutely the worst mistake I'd ever made on my truck. A ride that was honestly like going down the road on the rims. I had to jack the cab back up and replace the frame to cab bushings with OEM rubber just to get the thing tolerable. These were PST bushings, (Performance Suspension Technology), and I have since been informed that there are softer replacement poly bushings out there. Good luck. You might want to do some homework on the poly bushings issue.

Reaction score
Just my .02, but I'd get some opinions from others who have installed polyurethane bushings. I did the entire suspension on my '93 C2500 in poly and it was absolutely the worst mistake I'd ever made on my truck. A ride that was honestly like going down the road on the rims. I had to jack the cab back up and replace the frame to cab bushings with OEM rubber just to get the thing tolerable. These were PST bushings, (Performance Suspension Technology), and I have since been informed that there are softer replacement poly bushings out there. Good luck. You might want to do some homework on the poly bushings issue.
I just had that conversation with my buddy about poly bushings. I’m freshening my suspension and steering components and was thinking about upgrading to poly bushings. Since it’s just a daily driver that will be lowered but not driven hard he said that rubber ones would be much more comfortable and easier on my back lol

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I stuck with rubber bushings on both of my trucks at the recommendation of my mechanic, and I'm glad I did. I've heard many people say that polyurethane bushings do not produce a pleasant ride for a daily driver.