Tire suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been reading a good bit but havent
Noticed much tire talk going on.
Looking at several options but right now my '91 2wd has dry rotten 275/60/15 toyo proxes. Seems to be a decent size. It has 2" lowering shackles in the rear with caltracs and stock front suspension.

My buddy couldn't remember if he put 3.73 or 4.11s in it when he had it. But I have a extra 10 bolt with 3.08s.

When it' driveable I'll put some miles on it and then change the rear gear oil and see what' in there.

My thinking is a 275/60/15 or 275/55/15. Something with some width. Just can't find a decent street tire for 15's anymore. And I like the ugly stock 15 alum wheels.

I do plan on trying a 275/60/15 Mickey ET Street S/S for the track.

What size and brand do you guys like?

Truck should make about 600hp to the ground with some room to grow.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
with 15's not much out there...

I run 454 SS chrome wheels with 275/60/15, here's what i've been through... the wheels had Cooper tires with about 50-60% tread life left when I got them and I ran those down and figured I wanted "better" tires so I went with BF Goodrich Radial T/A's and that was a mistake since they wore out faster with full tread than the 50-60% Cooper's, so I went back to Cooper Cobra's... weather is not a factor in SoCal so that played no part in my decision...

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you have been pretty happy with the Cooper Cobras?
Ive seen them for a decent price.
I run Coooper All Terrain and Mud tires on my Tahoe and have no complaints.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
I've only had the Cooper Cobra's on about 5K, not much thought about them yet, but the first used set of Cooper's is what drove me to buy a second set after the T/A's poor showing... make sure to check the traction, heat and tire wear ratings on what your looking to buy they do vary brand to brand...

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really wish Toyo made the Proxes :(
This will be the first truck ive ever had that doesnt have a trailer hitch so i wont be needing any special tire for towing atleast.
Just going to be a Daily Driver that i can go play with at the track.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Just to throw it out there

My dad used to buy nothing but Cooper Cobra's and he couldn't keep a set on his 94.
There's a shop around here that swears by them and another that won't carry them, everyone has a different experience :shrug:
But of course every tire is like that

They would always seperate quickly and make the truck wobble going down the road. After he quit driving it regularly he put a Mastercraft equivalent on it and hasn't fooled with them again.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After looking at a lot of tires i think i might have to go to a 16 or 17" to get a good tire...

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
After looking at a lot of tires i think i might have to go to a 16 or 17" to get a good tire...
if I didn't like the 454 SS wheels so much that's what I would have done...

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's my problem now. I kinda like the ugly stock wheels. But 15's limit me so bad. I can get the size I want in a 17. But might try to find a 15 wheel to match what I get to run a DR or Slick at the track.
Too many options

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anybody on here run a 275/55/17 or a 275/60/17?