*Tined Tails (Not NiteShade)*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMiller

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you tint the clear? A little black toner mixed in? I've never sprayed PPG, I spray Sikkens along with some Roberto products.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
How did you tint the clear? A little black toner mixed in? I've never sprayed PPG, I spray Sikkens along with some Roberto products.
I've never sprayed those but it'll be the same. It's about as simple as it gets - (in PPG/ShopLine mixture) Clear/catalyst 4:1 + 1 part black. The amount of black kind of varies but I've found if I mix 2:0.5 clear with :1 part of black added to that. The 2:0.5 mixture in a pint mixing cup seems to cover the lenses enough and the one full part of black is going to look really dark on a stick but it's enough to cover the lenses well while giving the option to add another coat if they're not dark enough without having to worry if an extra cost is too much. I usually cover lenses with this mixture in like 3-4 coats.

Hopefully that's not too confusing.

Sent from my bored/stroked iPhone 6S

JMiller

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome. It's crazy how somebody comes up with an idea and it ends up everywhere. I remember when this was super popular I just wasn't painting at the time. I'm leaning towards that early 2000s look. When you say 2:0.5. Do you mean 2 parts to 50? 4:1:1 makes perfect sense if all else fails I could use a measuring cup for that. I'm just not sure about 2:0.5. This will be my spare time between jobs this week. Thanks for the info.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
Awesome. It's crazy how somebody comes up with an idea and it ends up everywhere. I remember when this was super popular I just wasn't painting at the time. I'm leaning towards that early 2000s look. When you say 2:0.5. Do you mean 2 parts to 50? 4:1:1 makes perfect sense if all else fails I could use a measuring cup for that. I'm just not sure about 2:0.5. This will be my spare time between jobs this week. Thanks for the info.
What I mean is 4:1 divided in half. Plus I like to throw in a splash of reducer. It helps level out orange peel.

JMiller

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I mean is 4:1 divided in half. Plus I like to throw in a splash of reducer. It helps level out orange peel.

Adding a little slower activator or hardener will sometimes help your second coat to reflow the first. Generally you are building layer after layer. It all starts with spraying your surfacer and laying out some smooth sealer and base. A guy once told me runs/sags are air pressure. Or angle peel/texture is in your fluid tip adjustment. That idea has worked good for me ever since. Not to tell you how to spray or anything. I've only been at it a few years myself. Just hate to think someone was having orange peel issues, I know it can be frustrating and discouraging.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
Nothing a little scuff 'n' buff can't fix but adding reducer seems to make it flow pretty well so I just end up nibbing out the big dirts.