Time to rebuild the NV4500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the truck back today after the rebuild. No more grinding sounds when in neutral and it goes into all of the gears crisp and firm. Unfortunately, some eh-hole broke into it and ripped out the ECM (along with my tuning equipment), stereo, and wideband O2 gauge. I found a replacement ECM at a pick-a-part yard to get it running, but I'll need to order some stuff to get a new chip in it and running right so I can do a good road test. Total cost on the rebuild was about $2150, but they knocked some of that down to help replace the stolen parts.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the theft happened while in their possession are they not responsible for the missing items? Seems like they would be to me

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I talked with the manager quite a bit about that. He took a few hundred dollars off of the bill to help cover replacement costs. The biggest loss was the chip emulator and wideband gauge. I'm sure that they opened the glove box to rummage through it and saw the ECM sitting there with the emulator hanging out of it and thought it must be worth something, so it got jacked. Same with the gauge because it was wired into the ECM for data logging. At least they didn't damage any harnesses and connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This doesn't sound right. So this happened on the shop property? I would think they should be fully responsible. Have they no security cameras? They at least have insurance? Knocked a few hundred off bill? Seems like a pretty big bill still.

I believe you should have the police involved. Hell, maybe the shop had something to do with the theft. Can't trust anyone these days.

It's very unfortunate you had this happen during a repair. Sorry.
I hope you get resolution to this matter. Glad the tranny is at least up and going. Good luck with the rest.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This doesn't sound right. So this happened on the shop property? I would think they should be fully responsible. Have they no security cameras? They at least have insurance? Knocked a few hundred off bill? Seems like a pretty big bill still.

I believe you should have the police involved. Hell, maybe the shop had something to do with the theft. Can't trust anyone these days.

It's very unfortunate you had this happen during a repair. Sorry.
I hope you get resolution to this matter. Glad the tranny is at least up and going. Good luck with the rest.

My thoughts exactly, yea he knocked a couple hundred off the bill but in my opinion that just covered your labor to fix your own truck. Where's the reimbursement for the parts that came up missing?
Ultimately if you're happy with the deal then great, but it sounds like the shop might haven gotten of lightly.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I concur with @Jorge6.5 and @BerHntr. The only people who don't want police involved are the ones with something to hide. They should have insurance to cover situations just like this. What else was taken? How many other deals did they have to cut to make up for some unknown thief.

No wire cut or rip out in the removal? Junkies aren't careful, take every thing they can as fast as they can.

How was the managers demeanor?

I have learned coincidences are few and far between. If there are dots, chances are you can connect them.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
every time I look around and see my broke down ****, I read a thread like this and reassure myself that while my junk may be broke down, its not under someone elses care. Trust no one. Unless you have a Ford, then ***** that thing out. :)