Time to rebuild the NV4500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The time has come to go through the NV4500 and bring it back up to where it should be. I had the transmission out in August to replace a shot throwout bearing, and replaced the clutch/pressure plate and fork while it was out. I promised if I ever took it out again I would do the full rebuild because there is a lot of bearing noise and the third gear synchro is all but gone. Now the input shaft is seizing in the pilot bearing and keeping it from shifting, so time to tear it down and get it done.

I have been looking at the Quad4x4 rebuild kit and new input shaft but I'm having trouble swallowing the price tag. For that price for just the parts, I would almost rather buy a rebuilt unit from highgeartransmission.com for $1000. Does anyone have any other sources for MT8 NV4500 parts? I know the Quad4x4 kit is about the best available, but if there is one of similar quality for a better price, I'd rather save some money and do the rebuild myself.

kodeeblue1

Reaction score
Hopefully someone has some input on this cause I'm curious as well

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All things I don't have... I could come up with bearing installers and the 5th gear nut pretty easily. The press would be hard to come up with.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not against upgrading parts with a little added cost. I need a new input shaft anyway.