Tie Rod Upgrades for Lifted 2wd Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caleb Hughes

Reaction score
I have a 97 Tahoe running an RCD 6" lift kit and 35" tires in a prerunner style themed truck, my question is that I keep tearing up tierod ends muscling those 35s around, I was told that I could possibly upgrade to 3/4 or 1 ton 2wd spindles in the front as long as I was willing to get new wheels (which I am) which would allow me to use the heavier 1 ton tie rods and ends. Anyone attempted this or able to offer an alternate suggestion?

camaroman101

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I keep hearing people talk about 1 ton tie rod ends but on Amazon they show up as the same part number as a 1500, is it a different year? Do you know an item number? Also you might just be able to ream the current hole to fit the 1 ton parts.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I have a 1 ton dually, and a 1/2 ton truck, and those tie rods look exactly the same size...... what part of the tie rod is getting messed up? is it the adjuster sleeve?

Caleb Hughes

Reaction score
I have a 1 ton dually, and a 1/2 ton truck, and those tie rods look exactly the same size...... what part of the tie rod is getting messed up? is it the adjuster sleeve?

It's the tie rod end itself that gets a LOT of play in it, due to the tires and lack of steering stabilizer