Ticket for mud flaps in California

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm pissed while swapping in the new transmission into my 90, my dad let me drive his 03 silverado 1500hd with a 3 inch body lift and 305/65/18 tires which is about 34". I dont think this should be a ticket at all sense the truck is Burly lifted and the tires are still in the wheel well. I don't know if I should fight this at all. I looked up the CA code for mudflaps but didnt get anything specific. I really do hate California and @**Hole cops.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
CA DMV said:
V C Section 27600 Fenders and Mudguards

Fenders and Mudguards

27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

Amended Ch. 215, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27600.htm

I see a lot of people post up trucks from califronia with no mud flaps though so like anything else it probably depends on your area cops.

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think he just wanted to check around and see if I was doing anything suspicious because I am young and Latino so he probably thought I stoled it or something. Lol