"Thunder" 1996 K3500 crew cab 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it has been a while since I have posted any updates on the the truck. I have not done much more to the truck other than toasting the 454 in it.

454 does not like be pushed over 5000rpm. I knew this, but was not going to be beat by 6.7 diesel in a lifted Ford.

So the 502 is now being built for the truck. I may start a new thread on the engine build an install. But one useful piece of info. I was going to use a fast efi system, but after much research I found out the mercruiser 525efi intake is a gm ramjet efi intake with a fuel cooler. So after as lot of research and looking I purchased a mercruiser 525 efi intake. This will allow me to use a regular gm computer (doing an 0411 swap).

I have not made a determination on internals yet as I am waiting to see how the block cleans up and the bore size. I will try to post info on the build as I go.

You must be registered for see images attach

Casey1104

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it has been a while since I have posted any updates on the the truck. I have not done much more to the truck other than toasting the 454 in it.

454 does not like be pushed over 5000rpm. I knew this, but was not going to be beat by 6.7 diesel in a lifted Ford.

So the 502 is now being built for the truck. I may start a new thread on the engine build an install. But one useful piece of info. I was going to use a fast efi system, but after much research I found out the mercruiser 525efi intake is a gm ramjet efi intake with a fuel cooler. So after as lot of research and looking I purchased a mercruiser 525 efi intake. This will allow me to use a regular gm computer (doing an 0411 swap).

I have not made a determination on internals yet as I am waiting to see how the block cleans up and the bore size. I will try to post info on the build as I go.

You should help me find a bumper like that but i live in Wisconsin

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should help me find a bumper like that but i live in Wisconsin
That is a tall seeing how I am in South East Texas. I would suggest Ranch Hand site and a welder. My bumper is a ranchhand winch bumper with slight modifications

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Update: Just got done at engine builders. Engines will be to build a 600+hp torque monster that would not require more than a 2500 stall converter. Will have a mercruiser steel forged rotating assembly and mercruiser forged rods. Final head make up will depend on cam and flow results of the 909 rectangle port heads to be used.

Casey1104

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a tall seeing how I am in South East Texas. I would suggest Ranch Hand site and a welder. My bumper is a ranchhand winch bumper with slight modifications
I was going to have someone build me the bumper for around 450 but they been busy I been looking for one in my area for a long time.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Looks like a fun project, interested to see how it turns out for sure. Are you going to do the tuning or have a shop do it?

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a fun project, interested to see how it turns out for sure. Are you going to do the tuning or have a shop do it?
I have not decided on the tuning yet. I was going to do it, but found a shop that said they will do it for 600 and that includes Dyno time.

Right now I am trying to figure out how all of this is going to work together and best ECU option. Finding out there are multiple 0411 computer swaps and evidently the correct pinout depends on type of 0411 computer. Still researching to see best option.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where'd you see that there are different pin configurations for different 0411s? The only issue I've seen is an o2 sensor issue. Either way, for 600 I'd just think about getting the tuning software, but some dyno time would be nice. The only concern I'd have is the quality of the tune, I've seen "shop" tunes before that are terrible, but if they're reputable its probably safe.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where'd you see that there are different pin configurations for different 0411s? The only issue I've seen is an o2 sensor issue. Either way, for 600 I'd just think about getting the tuning software, but some dyno time would be nice. The only concern I'd have is the quality of the tune, I've seen "shop" tunes before that are terrible, but if they're reputable its probably safe.
I have found it depends on the year model and type of vehicle and engine. For example a fly by wire set up pins different due to TPS (have to add a wire). Some pin out charts require a speed sensor wire added were others do not. Three that I have looked at have different pinout locations for O2 sensor, mass air, injectors (unless you do a 4-7 firing order swap with a cam change).
The problem is the pinout charts I have found that people are willing to share do not tell for which type of 0411 computer. I was going to buy a new computer from the auto parts and go from there. My other issue is I am using a Mercruiser efi intake (which is the same as a ramjet efi) because of the rectangular port heads (which also means an egr delete in the programming) and it has different style TPS, IAC, with no purge system.

In short I have decided to build a one off engine and still use fuel injection I use multiple different components. Along with toying with the Idea of making it a CPC setup (cool per cylinder) and eliminate the dizzy all together.
:D

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can find an 0411 out of an actual 02 express van, most of the pinouts are made for that I'm guessing.

And this sounds like a fun project for sure.. wouldn't you be able to use the stock tps and iac? Are you rubnruna difgdiffe throttle body? A LS style throttle body should allow you to use known sensors.

The coil pack conversion would be pretty nice to have. With all of that I really think you'll benefit from buying the software to do it yourself, I'm not sure how knowledgeable a shop will be on all this, as before I suppose it depends on the shop.