Thoughts on Bug Guards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have run them on almost every truck I have ever owned. Being here in Florida luv bugs get baked on and eat through your paint all the way down to primer in a few weeks if you dont wash them off . I always get the slimmest - most angled profile one out on the market as I agree they can look tacky as hexx on some rigs ....AVS is a go to brand for me - they hold up well over time ....

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't mind the look, I'm not sure if this qualifies as super tacky either. This came with the truck, it does have some debris stuck in it and I know that cant is good. they look pretty good on black trucks too.

You must be registered for see images attach

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I like my bugshield. It goes with my ventshades. If I could find them, I'd have the lund visor on the front of the cab and the spoiler at the back of the roof.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
when I got my truck it had a bug guard that my dad had installed on it... it was the first thing I removed... nevertheless it served its purpose for him and it served its purpose for me in the round file...

Sent from my Commodore 64 using 300 Baud Modem.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I like mine, as well. Not a 400, but as SlowBurb said, it matches my ventshades.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I had one on my truck, but I decided to take it off for a cleaner look.
It wrecked the paint behind because it let at least a couple of millimeters of visible dirt, grime, and pollen build up; while it may not sound like a lot, it was quite a bit.
And it was almost baked on there so it was a pain in the ass to try and get it cleaned back up. Now after owning the truck for over a year I'm finally getting the paint fixed and cleaned.

I used to like them, but the one on my truck made me not be too crazy about them.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Same here. I've removed them from a couple trucks I've bought. Both times they damaged the paint pretty badly under the actual shield. The last one I removed had the little adhesive bumpers on the hood to defend it, but still ground the paint off in a few places by highway speeds bending it into the hood. First one I removed had no protection and did some ugly damage.

I didn't install mine though, either. Maybe if they were installed with some skill, those things wouldn't happen. Like the fact the previous installer cracked the grille by slamming the hood down on it all the time...The screw holes that were drilled in the hood all rusted and stretched from overtightening, etc.

Reaction score
More sentimental value than anything as I am keeping this truck the way my wife's dad had it before he passed. I never was a big fan but I do like it on my truck. True test will be this summer towing the Chevelle to the dragstrip if the bug splatters are kept to a minimum.....

Hightower1

Reaction score
My truck came with a low profile one and I ditched that thing pretty quick. I really never saw any benefit having one (even living in Florida). They add more wind resistance, they in a lot of cases cause more damage than not having one.

On my truck it caused the hood to get tiny dents in the center of the nose from having too close the hood funny since the shield was in the way. The paint is all messed up from it rubbing at highway speeds and debris being permanently trapped in it.

It's like people that buy bras to protect their front ends, they usually cause far, far more damage than without. Plus most vehicles look far better without that crap.