Thinking about switching rear bumpers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
I'd keep your bumper and get a hitch that works then if you are towing a lot. Any bumper is not good for heavy towing. My bumper and hitch get along fine, weird that yours doesn't.

Who makes good hitches? Reese? I dont want to spend to much on a hitch receiver if I already have one haha

You tell me if I need to make a road trip to get this from you!

Haha I will let you know! If I can find a hitch receiver that works it will be staying!

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Why not just reinforce what's already on the truck?

That is the plan! Here in about two weeks or so the truck is going back to get re-painted so the bumpers are coming off and I will be re-doing the mounts up a hell of a lot stronger!

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the stock hitch on my 97 k3500 wouldn't clear my ranch hand either. so that was a good excuse to upgrade. the stock hitch is not the beefiest out there for sure. I got the highest rated curt they make and it is built way heavier than the stock one that I had bent all to hell pullin trees out with. the one I got would not look good with a stock bumper but with the ranch hand drop it looks great and fits perfect, tucks up nice and tight, about 3/8 inch under the bottom of the bumper step. I think I going to fab up a bracket to weld the hitch and bumper together in the center of the receiver on the back to make one solid unit. one thing to remember though is you can beef up the bumper/brackets all you want but the rear frame rails on these trucks are not that beefy. if that bumper/hitch doesn't move, the frame is going to. seriously considering boxing the rear frame rails on mine with 3/8 plate. these frames in general are not as strong as the 73-87 imo.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Yeah thats what I was told as well that the frame will bend before the hitch receiver on these things. Where did you get your hitch receiver at? What did it run you?

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cant remember where it was online at a hitch specialty/towing place. it was over 200 cheaper than local with shipping. maybe google curt v5 then look up your application. you should be able to tell if ya see the right one, it will look like it would be way too low to line up under the stock bumper, as it would be. the side plates are massive and made my stock hitch look like tinker toys. just keep looking for a place with free shipping cause its heavy for just a hitch. I was impressed, its quality was top notch and us made. let me know if ya cant find it and I will try to dig up my paperwork. it also came with all the hardware.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
cant remember where it was online at a hitch specialty/towing place. it was over 200 cheaper than local with shipping. maybe google curt v5 then look up your application. you should be able to tell if ya see the right one, it will look like it would be way too low to line up under the stock bumper, as it would be. the side plates are massive and made my stock hitch look like tinker toys. just keep looking for a place with free shipping cause its heavy for just a hitch. I was impressed, its quality was top notch and us made. let me know if ya cant find it and I will try to dig up my paperwork. it also came with all the hardware.

Sounds good. Thanks man I will look into it. If it is really expensive I will probably just try to make my bumper as strong as possible though

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hitchsource.com curt class v part number 15015 free shipping $284.89

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ever think about just taking some 1/2" angle and welding it to your bumper and using the stock hitch mounting holes to bolt it too,,, if that makes sense,,lol i can picture it in my head on how i would do it,,lol it would definitely help anyways