The Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Hey, Brian! Been a while since I posted in your thread, but I do follow it. Always like unique builds.
Good to see you're still working on the truck. While doing mods that other's say can't be done!

:rocking:

Thanks Al! If I ever have a pickup, I'll probably try to copy your blue truck. Still one of my favorites on here. If you ever get the steering wheel recover completed, make sure you post it. I really want to see it. I hate the condition my leather is in right now. Not really sure what to do about it. I'll post some pics later.

does that grey99hoe guy ship stuff like transmissions? i need an 80e and some wiring bad.

I don't know, I didn't ask. You could call him. If you need his number, I can get that to you. I picked my 4L80e somewhat locally. I drove and got it, 4 hour round trip. The wiring isn't too bad, if yours is clean. I was able to get mine re-pinned at the connectors pretty easily and it works great.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Hey guys, haven't been on in a while. Busy with work. Good news is, now I have funds to do some things I've wanted to do for a long time. Right now I'm dealing with a couple issues.

My A/C hasn't worked in years. It has a slow leak of refrigerant, and it was just too expensive to keep charging every two weeks. I had two shops look at it a few years ago, and both said they fixed the leak, and yet the system was still leaking after both shops. This time, I took it to a better shop. They said the compressor was leaking. New compressor and full A/C system flush was expensive, but also comes with a 3-year, 36,000 mile warranty. Got it back last week, and it's already blowing warm, so back to the shop it goes.

Last Thursday, I went through a car wash. When I got home, my new driver's side LED tail light was hanging by the cords, and it had taken some paint off my bumper. So I went back to the car wash. Manager looks at the tapes, and says the tail light was on the whole time until it got to the jet dryers, then it just popped out. The thing is, the mounting tabs that the screws fasten to from the tailgate side were completely broken, so something in the wash broke those earlier, then the blowers just pushed it off the little hooks that hinge on the side of the tail light. He says that the company usually doesn't do claims on aftermarket parts because they aren't as high quality. He also says that older vehicles also tend to have more fragile parts because of age. Then he offers me $40 and some free washes. At this point, I just decide to be polite since I'm going to get nowhere with this guy, and ask for the corporate manager that handles claims. The tails were 2 months old, and had been through the wash several times before just fine. They were $120 for the pair, not to mention the paint work that I need to have on the rear bumper. I'm guessing it's going to cost about $200-250 to fix it all.

I have a few upcoming plans. I'd like to get these all done before next summer, but we'll see how that goes.

1. I still have my 14-bolt axle from the 454SS. I need new gears for it, and I figure I might as well do it right and put a Detroit TrueTrac in it from the start. After that, I'll make sure the drum brakes are good, then have that swapped in.

2. I also have an Edelbrock MPFI setup sitting in my room. I need new injectors, but I plan on going with some IWP069's. Should be just over $400 for the injectors. I had a plate machined to cover the injector pod on my throttle body (the kit came with one new, but mine is used and the guy couldn't find it). After that, I need a new fuel pump and a tune. Then it should be good to go. The only other thing I need to check is that this intake manifold has the EGR port at the front of the intake, and I need to make sure the EGR valve will clear the supercharger.

3. Lastly, I've finally figured out how I want to do my double din install. I stumbled across this thread on TahoeYukonForum, and this is exactly how I want mine to look. The kit by DetailSS is fine, but I would much rather keep my cubby. I like having it. So I'm planning on putting a Pioneer 8100 in my dash like this:

You must be registered for see images

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the AC guys don't know how to use a sniffer! A leak that big shouldn't be that difficult to track down. I would suspect the evaporator is leaking, and they either haven't or won't drill a hole in the box to confirm. Hopefully they get it squared away for you with no run around.

I would also avoid automated car washes like the plague. Those things put a billion fine scratches in the paint at best, and destroy paint and components at worst, like your case. Hope you can get some resolution on that from the corporate management.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Sounds like the AC guys don't know how to use a sniffer! A leak that big shouldn't be that difficult to track down. I would suspect the evaporator is leaking, and they either haven't or won't drill a hole in the box to confirm. Hopefully they get it squared away for you with no run around.

I would also avoid automated car washes like the plague. Those things put a billion fine scratches in the paint at best, and destroy paint and components at worst, like your case. Hope you can get some resolution on that from the corporate management.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well, that's why I went to the shop with the long warranty. They did a full A/C system evaluation beforehand, so even if the evaporator is leaking, they supposedly should have found that at the same time as the compressor, unless the compressor was the bigger and more apparent leak. They also said they were having issues with it blowing warm, but that they suspected it was a blend door somewhere not working right, so it's possible that's what my issue is. We'll find out soon enough.

Yeah, usually I do my own washes, but we've been in a serious drought here in CA, and we can actually get in trouble for using too much water outside right now. I'm planning on a repaint in the next 4 or 5 years anyways. This coat looks good from far away, but there's a lot of little blemishes. I got a great deal, and it was all I could afford at the time, but I know I'm going to want to have it redone in the future at higher quality.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
When I went thru mikes/crew wash before and my side mirrors glass popped out of my Street scene mirrors the guy told me at first they wouldn't do anything "like they always say" then he came back with how much do those cost and I told him replacement glass was 80 so he came back with the typical half price offer of 40$ which the plain glass mirrors are really cheap ;) so I used that money towards the upgrade purchase of new mirror glass with turn signals in them ;) always tell them a higher price cause they are going to cut that in half! And they didn't need to know one of the clips was already broke ;) ;)
But you really should have looked at your truck after going thru any car washes or even services! Could have prevented a lot of those scratches if ya just got out and did a quick walk around. :(

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3. Lastly, I've finally figured out how I want to do my double din install. I stumbled across this thread on TahoeYukonForum, and this is exactly how I want mine to look. The kit by DetailSS is fine, but I would much rather keep my cubby. I like having it. So I'm planning on putting a Pioneer 8100 in my dash like this:

Link to thread?

mistaake

Reaction score
That double DIN looks amazing want to do that in one of mine. Link please :)

Also, OP, I really like your Yukon. I miss my 96 :'( couldn't afford to replace the tranny at the time though (about two months after I bought it for $2400 the rear end failed catastrophically when leaving work and took the tranny with it)... I think your 2WD looks great at the stock height. Personally I don't think you should lower it but it's your truck.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58402&highlight=double+din

There's the link.

Mistaake, I'm probably not going to drop it right now. I have some Tahoe Limited ground effects that I'm working on, so that will make it look lower without actually lowering the ride height. Plus it will help to hide some of that frame. I just need to figure out how I want to mount it, and I also need to modify my exhaust exit slightly for the rear piece behind the wheel. It has a cutout for the exhaust tip, so I want to get that modified so it will fit better once I get that kit painted and put on. I appreciate the kind words, it's definitely been a work in progress. Lots of time, work, money, and frustration. Just gotta keep making progress on it, even if it's not a big update at times, it still helps to do the little things here and there.