The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a question, hopefully simple. I suffer from the soft front end bob.. the truck is so soft it sways up and down when you hit bumps in the road. It was like this before and have recent lowered it another 2" putting me at 4/5.5 drop. Now when i hit a bridge on the highway i'm bottom out the fender wells pretty hard. I need to stiffen up the front. Its on 2" spindles, 2" springs, lowering leafs and shackles. I just rebuilt the entire front end (new ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm, bushings, and end links. and put on toxic shocks for the drop. I'm still too dang soft. please advise!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i have a question, hopefully simple. I suffer from the soft front end bob.. the truck is so soft it sways up and down when you hit bumps in the road. It was like this before and have recent lowered it another 2" putting me at 4/5.5 drop. Now when i hit a bridge on the highway i'm bottom out the fender wells pretty hard. I need to stiffen up the front. Its on 2" spindles, 2" springs, lowering leafs and shackles. I just rebuilt the entire front end (new ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm, bushings, and end links. and put on toxic shocks for the drop. I'm still too dang soft. please advise!

Disclaimer, I don't own a lowered truck, or know a whole lot about them. However the only thing I can think of that would make your front end that soft is the springs. What drop springs are you running? I'd probably want some from Eaton or someone else reputable who actually makes them for each specific truck. (V6 vs V8, 1/2 ton vs 3/4, etc.)

Terrick down Under

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
G'day. I have the same thing with one of ours. We ended up putting Rancho9000 in front and back. In our vehicle on the highest setting they are 90% effective for the rural roads we travel on, and took out most of the wobble!

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive had a few of these trucks that were lowered, and Ive built quite a few more. The only time Ive ever had that problem was when I used drop springs. Theyre just too soft. Get a pair of stock V8 springs and cut them-works a lot better. Oh, and Ive always run KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and they have always given me a good ride and great control.

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive had a few of these trucks that were lowered, and Ive built quite a few more. The only time Ive ever had that problem was when I used drop springs. Theyre just too soft. Get a pair of stock V8 springs and cut them-works a lot better. Oh, and Ive always run KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and they have always given me a good ride and great control.
It's a 91 with stock springs cut 1" and belltech drop spindles. I'm on toxic shock that are literally fresh out of the box. I read this as well that lowering springs were too soft but my stock springs cut are still too soft. It's a stock v8 and it was super soft before I cut them. It is better now but still way way too soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps a stock spring for a 454ss cut down?

Maybe even contact Eaton and have them do a custom drop spring. Never used them myself but I've heard nothing but positive things.

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ordered some coil spring boosters. Which is basically an isolator that goes between the coils. The dirt track guys around here swear by them. They will be here Tuesday. I had thought about tying the big dog qa1 shocks and setting the compression higher, but I'm not convinced $500 shocks will help either

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ordered some coil spring boosters. Which is basically an isolator that goes between the coils. The dirt track guys around here swear by them. They will be here Tuesday. I had thought about tying the big dog qa1 shocks and setting the compression higher, but I'm not convinced $500 shocks will help either

The boosters are going to raise it up a little. Not sure how much but I'm pretty sure it will raise it some.

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The boosters are going to raise it up a little. Not sure how much but I'm pretty sure it will raise it some.
I checked out the space between my coils at rest and ordered the strip with a center section super close to that space. I'm hoping at rest it'll just be touching enough to hold it in place. If not I'll trim back the stop into half and see. If it raises it a hair I'm ok with that but I really like where the from is sitting for now so I don't want to lose that stance.