The Stupid Lift Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They will all very a bit... how bout..... measure ground to the top of your roof now and add 4".... I know that sound like me being an ass, but think about it.... if your stock height now and want a 4" lift.... well you get the idea....lol...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

No I get what you mean to do. Was more hoping someone would chime in abt weather or not they still fit in parking garage like @Curt

Jay Jay

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the torque specs are for upper and lower control arms on a 98 1500? I'm needing the torque specs for the spindle to control arm, as well as the control arm to frame specs. I just installed a 2" Rough Country coil lift with ball joint spacers, I installed new insulators and put everything back together and now I'm getting a thud sound from both sides when i go through dips or a bump in the road . I'm not sure what could be causing this, the control arms are new and came with upper and lower ball joints installed, the inner and outer tie rods are also new and so are the shocks. It was doing this before the alignment and it's not so bad now but still does it. Anyone have any ideas of what else i can check? Can bad wheel bearings cause this condition? The alignment dude said he had trouble getting the camber/caster at dead 0 on the passenger side, which happens to "thud" more than the driver's side. Here's some pics of both sides.
You must be registered for see images attach

John Wayne

Reaction score
In the rcx instructions it says I need a 17/32" drill bit for the control arm bracket bolts/ crush sleeves. Is that the correct size or a typo. If its correct, where would i find one local? I've looked in the normal lowe's, home depot, & the hardware stores.

Jeff Buck

Reaction score
Hello from Arkansas!

This is my first post; "The Stupid Life Questions" thread seemed like a good place to state.

I've had 4 or 5 GMT400 trucks since I was a kid and always really liked them. My most recent is a '96 K1500 Ext Cab that has been great to me. I put u-joints, brakes, rebuilt the front and, and replaced the fuel pump when I bought it at 140,000 miles. I just rolled 205,000 and haven't had a bit of trouble out of it since I did the initial work after purchasing.

I came across a really clean 1999 K2500 Crew Cab with a 5.7L/4L80 and bought it a couple days ago. I've always loved the way these looked and couldn't pass it up. Seems like a great truck. PO put a cold air intake and a throttle body spacer I assume in an effort to squeeze another mpg out of it.

Short version; what's the best way to level the truck? I see the torsion key kits but I've never messed with lifting or leveling any of the Chevy's I've had in the past. I really don't want to sacrifice ride quality or durability just to level this thing but thought I'd ask before I give up on the idea.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello from Arkansas!

This is my first post; "The Stupid Life Questions" thread seemed like a good place to state.

I've had 4 or 5 GMT400 trucks since I was a kid and always really liked them. My most recent is a '96 K1500 Ext Cab that has been great to me. I put u-joints, brakes, rebuilt the front and, and replaced the fuel pump when I bought it at 140,000 miles. I just rolled 205,000 and haven't had a bit of trouble out of it since I did the initial work after purchasing.

I came across a really clean 1999 K2500 Crew Cab with a 5.7L/4L80 and bought it a couple days ago. I've always loved the way these looked and couldn't pass it up. Seems like a great truck. PO put a cold air intake and a throttle body spacer I assume in an effort to squeeze another mpg out of it.

Short version; what's the best way to level the truck? I see the torsion key kits but I've never messed with lifting or leveling any of the Chevy's I've had in the past. I really don't want to sacrifice ride quality or durability just to level this thing but thought I'd ask before I give up on the idea.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Aftermarket keys won't gain you anything on these trucks, and cranking the keys enough to gain you 2" to level it out will absolutely kill your ride quality. Best/easiest/cheapest way to level the truck would be to drop the rear 2" with a set of leaf spring drop shackles.

codyw20

Reaction score
Hello all, I recently picked up a 1994 K1500. I am completely a greenhorn to these trucks and any kind of truck work and lifts. I have read all pages of these sticky's and an trying to get up to speed. It looks like the PO has already cranked the front to level. I can see the keys cranked way up and it sits level with 285/75/16s on it. There is also a one inch block on the back. So it looks pretty good as it is. The problem is as soon as I put even a couple hundred pounds in the back it drops enough to notice and ride nose high. I like the way it looks and would probably need to keep the crank because of the tires and the CV angles actually look okay (only two ribs touching). So I am thinking of just throwing on a 2 inch block instead of one inch. My question is; is it really that easy of a problem and is it that easy to do? I saw the following on ebay. I hope it is that i simple. What do you all think? Thanks for any input.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-2016-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Jay P

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar or running Bilstien shocks? Im looking into buying Bilstien 5100 adjustable shocks. The fronts are adjustable to 4-6 inches while the rear are adjustable to 2-4 inches. Could I just adjust them both to 4 inches and be fine. Or is there something else id have to be worried about or install to run 4 inches of lift?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar or running Bilstien shocks? Im looking into buying Bilstien 5100 adjustable shocks. The fronts are adjustable to 4-6 inches while the rear are adjustable to 2-4 inches. Could I just adjust them both to 4 inches and be fine. Or is there something else id have to be worried about or install to run 4 inches of lift?

Ok...... let's get you fixed up and corrected first. The 5100 are not adjustable at all for out style shock as we do not use coil over shocks/struts in our trucks from factory... they fit a 4"-6" lift because of the extended and collapsed shock length. But there is no way to adjust the lengths of our style shock. Plenty of us run them and love them.

Do you have a lift currently? Shocks do NOT lift any vehicle(not talking struts or overload style shocks here). Shocks are just a dampener.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Dominick

Reaction score
Post here if you have a simple question. This will help keep track of common info and reduce clutter.
I have 3 inch torsion keys in my 1997 1500 and the truck has been wearing out pitman arms and idler arms a lot. Does anyone know of a way to correct this?