The Stupid Lift Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirty

Reaction score
what size block comes with the rc 4in kit?
running 2500 leaves so trying to see what difference would be between the 2

mutanay

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a stupid question. My 2500 has a 5.7 in it, stock with a just an intake, im running 35 inch nitto trail grapplers and i noticed when i bought the truck last year, it also had 35 inch nittos, that im literally as slow as a slug. I am wondering if i need to change my gear ratio to match the correct size of my tires? I just changed out my spark plugs and wires and Im still way too slow on the throttle response and acceleration, even for a 350. There should definitely be more power. Would a simple gear ratio change the difference in proper top end performance my 5.7 could put out? Also it was also rebuilt 25,000 miles ago. Unless the guy ****** up while rebuilding i dont think there is anything wrong with my 350 besides how incredibly embarrassingly slow it is. Especially entering a freeway on the onramp

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a stupid question. My 2500 has a 5.7 in it, stock with a just an intake, im running 35 inch nitto trail grapplers and i noticed when i bought the truck last year, it also had 35 inch nittos, that im literally as slow as a slug. I am wondering if i need to change my gear ratio to match the correct size of my tires? I just changed out my spark plugs and wires and Im still way too slow on the throttle response and acceleration, even for a 350. There should definitely be more power. Would a simple gear ratio change the difference in proper top end performance my 5.7 could put out? Also it was also rebuilt 25,000 miles ago. Unless the guy ****** up while rebuilding i dont think there is anything wrong with my 350 besides how incredibly embarrassingly slow it is. Especially entering a freeway on the onramp
Going from 32" highway tires to 33" aggressive all terrains really made my 1999 k1500 5.7 suburban a lot slower, but I have 3.42 gears stock.
Regearing will help you with the acceleration. More than likely you have 3.73, so something along the lines or a 4.10 or 4.56 would be good for you.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

mutanay

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going from 32" highway tires to 33" aggressive all terrains really made my 1999 k1500 5.7 suburban a lot slower, but I have 3.42 gears stock.
Regearing will help you with the acceleration. More than likely you have 3.73, so something along the lines or a 4.10 or 4.56 would be good for you.

It will help with acceleration but not speed? I think due to my tire size being 35 and mud terrain it will still be a slug?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will help with acceleration but not speed? I think due to my tire size being 35 and mud terrain it will still be a slug?

It will help you reach your highway speeds quicker, but in turn you lose some top speed. The factory limiter on the pcm doesn't let you go above 98-100 mph anyways though.
And yes, large tires really effect acceleration and as far as maintaining speed, aggressive tires are more resistant to rolling meaning you can't "coast" downhill as easily as you could with less aggressive tires.

mutanay

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will help you reach your highway speeds quicker, but in turn you lose some top speed. The factory limiter on the pcm doesn't let you go above 98-100 mph anyways though.
And yes, large tires really affect acceleration and as far as maintaining speed, aggressive tires are more resistant to rolling meaning you can't "coast" downhill as easily as you could with less aggressive tires.

Thanks for the advice. I was looking uo ring and pinion sets on summit racing, there was a 4.88 and a 5.13 set. Are those too much to handle? Or could i opt to getting those?

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I was looking uo ring and pinion sets on summit racing, there was a 4.88 and a 5.13 set. Are those too much to handle? Or could i opt to getting those?

Youre welcome. There's a thread somewhere showing recommended gearing for different tire sizes, let me see if I can find it real quick.

mavawreck

Reaction score
I have an OBS Escalade. It looks to be squatting - heavy truck + 17 year old suspension will do that. My goal is to run slightly larger tires on the stock rims. I plan to add keys to the front to get 2", in the rear I was thinking of installing the super lift 2" lift springs. Probably use longer KYB shocks front and rear. Any issues with that plan?

I looked at some packaged options for the truck. Suspecting that my rear is sagging already, I wouldn't expect to make much progress running blocks or add a leaves via the RCX kit.