The Stupid Lift Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To get just a little higher I would suggest spacers. However I would do a spindle lift. My truck is 94 c1500 with 6 inch lift but it's not to high and I still drive by higher trucks all the time. I'm also on 31-10.5

You must be registered for see images attach

Jeff Davis

Reaction score
To get just a little higher I would suggest spacers. However I would do a spindle lift. My truck is 94 c1500 with 6 inch lift but it's not to high and I still drive by higher trucks all the time. I'm also on 31-10.5

That's a good look. I may consider the 6". Are you running 15" wheels also?

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
That's a good look. I may consider the 6"

I wouldn't go any more than 5"... Trust me, going 6" all suspension is asking for trouble, I had 4" spindles and 2" spacers for about a year and then all 4 of my upper control arm mounts cracked or ripped out of the frame. (not that uncommon of a problem for our trucks actually)

This is mine currently (after welding all the mounts back on the frame) It's 4" spindles and 1" daystar spacers, 5" total front and back. After having 3 different types of spacers (both 2" and 1"), I would only recommend the Daystar ones if you do decide you want more then 4" of lift.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes they're still 15s. Also it's been years since the lift was put on so it does sit abt as high as. Dcp1992 and his is only a 4 inch which still looks good. I bought the truck with it lifted already.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Mine is actually 5" to 5.5". I got a 1" Daystar spacer along with my spinels, which depending on where you read about them they are listed as both 1" and 1.5" for our trucks. I had 6 inches for about a year but went down to 5 inches due to frame issues late last year and early this year.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well either size it's a nice looking truck and plan to do something similar to my suburban, plus some of the green led work you've done. But I have to figure out who to use for the lift cause my burb is 4x4 an I've used rough country for the small lift i have now but no one else around me has a lifted burb, all stock or older SAS which I don't plan for it.

camaroman101

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know if you lose suspension travel with an bracket/full drop kit like Rough Country vs a knuckle drop?

Dyelon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, I am looking at scoring a low mile k1500, to add to my GMT400 family... Question is do I go with the RC front leveling kit w/ new shocks? or a full on 6" RCX kit? The truck has 84k on it. I am going for this look on a level kit....

But I would be going for this look with a 6" Lift

The other stupid questions I have are... with the RCX 6" lift does the ass end sag? And do the two options ride a whole lot differently? For the leveling kit, what "metal trimming" would have to be done to not rub with the above mentioned 32"-33" tires? I really like the idea of a leveling kit based on not being that high up and cost, but with those wheels I want to fit, it says that some metal trimming is required, so I need to figure that out first. Any help would be great. This is without a whole lot of research obviously...TIA

hq ranch

Reaction score
Im a first-time poster to this forum, so I am sure I qualify for the "stupid question" sandbox. I have a '99 1500K suburban that i am "converting" from family station wagon duty in suburb of san Francisco, to a fishing rig for trips to Montana. No off road driving planned, but mostly highway and reasonable dirt roads, and improved two track with the usual veg. growth and natural

I'm not looking to turn this rig into a badass looking truck nor restore to former beauty-- but rather create a practical, more gritty vehicle to get back and forth to rivers- and pull a light raft/ drift boat. I may add a bush guard to aid in case of late night deer encounter- which is unfortunately common. Not looking to invest big in this vehicle-- since it has 200k miles and normal three kid and teenage driver wear and tear. However we have good bond with the "old girl." since she ****** all over, packing our kids everywhere.

Ok.. finally my question. I need new tries which begs the question of size of tire-- desire for slightly more clearance etc. I am sure i don't want to lift body, but rather just get a little more space [leveling] . May need new shocks also -- since current ones might be dated ... Any simple advice for this rookie [some combo of tire size, level/low lift/ shocks? or better yet, anyone in SF Bay area that can do this reasonably>